Topic

Connected Pillow

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Connected Pillow

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Hideaki Terasawa
    Spectator

@trsw3

Locale: Tokyo

Using Montbell U.L. ComfortSystem Pillow.

RidgeRest, it's easy to punch using heated aluminium pipe.

Pillow wouldn't go away during sleeping.
    Mat would be extended.
    Of course FlexAir pillow will work well , too!

David Stenberg
    BPL Member

@dstenberg1

Locale: South

Thank you for the idea and pictures.

I also have to say I have enjoyed your U.L. blog a lot!

Great work!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Very nice!

I too have a MontBell pillow, but I am too afraid to punch similar holes into the corners of my REI Lite Core self-inflating pad:

So for now, I've just taped some velcro…

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

You could return that pad to REI and get the 120cm Montbell pad designed for your pillow; it is 5.3 ounces lighter, and $1 cheaper. mhuuu haaa haaa..(best evil laughter)
    montbell ul 120

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Yeah, I know, I've looked into it before and it is tempting, but I also know that the 1-inch ProLite 3 is too uncomfortable for me — and YOU were the one who confirmed that the MB pad felt similar to the ProLite 3 in the comfort department. So, no MB pad. Sigh.

Now, if anyone has punched holes in his or her REI Lite Core pad without mishap… please let me know. :)

Hideaki Terasawa
    Spectator

@trsw3

Locale: Tokyo

Hi Ben-san,
    You need only small hole for your pad. Tie clip's thread to your pad side, if width of punched hole fit it.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Thank you, Terasawa-san. I will look into this some more.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Why not just use a tiny dab of epoxy… or gorilla glue… or… shoot, it doesn't have to be strong, us a bit of the glue they recommend for patching those self inflators… to stick a couple 1-2 inch loops of some Air Core (or some other similarly UL cord) to the the pad?

Better yet, I bet you you could use some… i don't know… 300 lb/test fishing line stuck through (using a sewing needle) the excess fabric on the edges…

Yes, adding loops technically adds weight, but I'd prefer that to risking wrecking my nice new pad… ;)

edit – just notice that you had mentioned using vecro :D

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

>>Now, if anyone has punched holes in his or her REI Lite Core pad without mishap… please let me know. :)

Ben, I haven't punched holes in the REI Lite Core but I have done it with my Thermarest Ultralight using an ordinary paper punch. It does a good job of holding the Montbell pillow and caused no damage. The paper punch I had on hand made smaller holes than I wanted, so I just carefully enlarged them a bit at a time. An easier way to do it is to just find a punch with the same diameter as the the holes in the Montbell pillow.

edit: just noticed that the Lite Core tapers at both ends. Better measure before punching.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Hi Ben, long time no talk!

Why not just stick on some strong adhesive tape, perhaps even duct tape, to the sleeping pad and put holes or grommets into the tape through which you could attach the pillow toggles?

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Hideaki,

Good idea for many pillow types, even pile-clad "pillow" stuff sacks. Sew strings & toggles to them and melt holes in the closed cell pad or sew loops on the Thermarest corners.
    BRILLIANT! HAVE A GUINESS AND CELEBRATE! BRILLIANT!

Eric

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Hideaki-San,
    Great Idea! I use flex aire pillows so I might try this with one of my foam winter pads. But, is there anything that could be used that's lighter than the plastic toggle, yet still removeable? Maybe a small plastic clip?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools