Topic

condensation inside bag?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) condensation inside bag?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

Hi everyone i have a zpacks 20 degree bag and have used it about twelve nights in the past month. Last night i woke up in the middle of the night wet on my chest and front of legs. I got up to dry off, at first i thought i was sweating but i was wearing my normal sleep clothes and when i got out of the bag i realized it was cold out maybe 5-8 celsius just a guess here. As i was getting back in the bag i noticed that the draft tube and the inside of the zipper was damp their entire length the rest of the bag was dry. I dont get it is this jormal? Is cold air getting in and making contact with my body or something?

Oh and i finally ripped the tube fabric trying to get out of the bag they really need to do something about that . . . I was in a tarpent notch with the vents open, vestibules down but not super close to the ground, there was minor condensation on the tent. Does this ever happen to anyone else? Sorry for missing caps here in there using my phone.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

were you breathing into bag?

you're talking 40 F or warmer which isn't that cold so you shouldn't be getting that much condensation

how about drooling, vomiting, or peeing? : )

Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

I am a big drooler but that usually collects into a pool next to my mouth in the bag or sleeping pad. I suppose i may have been breathing into it but it only goes to my chin. Why would only the tube and zipper be wet in that case? And not just a bit of it but the whole length something like 4-5 feet. Weird . . .

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Condensation normally does not form on the inside of the bag, it will form where the temperature gradient hits the dew point such as the outside of the bag or within the insulation. You were likely sweating by using too much insulation for the weather conditions. I usually will go to bed with less insulation than I will need later in the night and add later to keep this from happening.

Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

Thanks for the info it still seems weird that the moisture was all in one spot. I walked around dried myself and went back to sleep with the same clothes and it didnt happen again. I was wearing what i always wear and havent slept in temps warmer than about 8 celsius yet. Maybe the temp swung above that. i fell asleep early, sunset is about 11:30 here (kluane national park) and when the sun comes out from behind a cloud and wind dies down the temps seem to rise by a full five degrees no thermometer with me though. Thanks for the insights.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools