Topic

Hexamid question: lines and line-locs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hexamid question: lines and line-locs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

I just ordered a Hexamid and was wondering if I should add line-locs with my order (and how many?). If I understand correctly, the Hexamid uses 8 (!) guylines. Also, will I have to cut these to size, or do they come pre-cut?

Note: I have never used line-locs before, so I'll need help understanding how to install them.

Thanks!

Matt Weaver
    Spectator

@norcalweaver

Locale: PacNW

I use their standard size linelocs that come with the loops attached to them that make them super easy to adapt to the hexamid. I use 6 of them, with Lawson reflective line. Run the same length of line that ZPacks tells you to use when not using linelocs as per the included directions with the hexamid. For the other 2 lines that pull out the back wall a bit, these aren't meant to be under heavy tension, so I use the supplied thinner line, with a tautline hitch on the end for some adjustability.

I don't get how people use these shelters with fixed length lines. The ground in my area is always scattered with rocks/roots and I rarely get a flat even surface to set up. Linelocs has transformed my hexamid ease of setup.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

I have my LineLocks on the tent body, with a fixed loop at the stake end. It keeps them out of the mud and snow.

If you decide to go this route, have Joe add them during the build, for just the cost of the LineLocks.

You also need to discuss the line you will use. The line Joe typically supplies is a small diameter and quite stiff. I found it difficult to adjust. Go with something bigger and more supple.

This Thread discusses some of the issues.

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

I think I'll go with the standard Zpacks 1.25 mm lines and micro line-locs that Zpacks sells unless there is a reason not to.

Greg, you said the Zline is stiff. Can you explain why that would make it hard to adjust? On the website, Joe says, "Regular un-sheathed Spectra however is slippery and difficult to work with. The Dacron sheath on Z-line gives it a stiff feel, makes it tangle resistant, and easier to tie and untie knots. This line also has a lot of grip; when used as a main tarp line or bear bag line, just wrapping it around a tree or branch a few times will hold steady without dealing with any knots."

In other words, the stiffness appears to be a good feature of the cord.

The G line looks good but not sure if they are too thin to work well with line locs. Is there a reason to prefer the G line over the Zpacks 1.25 mm line?

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

For me here in the SE, I have been fine just using the precut lines without needing LineLocs. That doesn't mean that I have been able to place each stake on the first try either… there has been a few times I have had to moves the stakes a bit, but I have always managed something. Considering this, while LineLoc's do make things a bit simpler (yet heavier due to actual LineLoc's & heavier line), I just can't justify them for my location.

However, if I were in an area that I was typically having lots of difficulties planting stakes, then there would be more of a reason for me to want them, so they would be justified.

Saying that, I do use them on my Yama Mountain Gear Cirriform SW tent, but that is for different reasons… that is my lazy tent…

Also, I will add, I am not a huge fan of the mini linelocks. If I were going to use LineLoc's I would rather just use the bigger 3's…

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I use fixed lines with no problems. Given the design of the shelter, I wonder how difficult it would be to get a tight pitch with adjustable lines.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I haven't owned/used my Hexamid Twin as long as Chad and Nick have owned theirs but I found that the fixed lines have worked well for me in a variety of soil and terrain (loose soil to very rocky terrain). When I need them shorter, I just tie a slip knot into the line where I need it. The only line I'll probably add any length to is the middle front one.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Not much issue with fixed line lengths here either.

On sloped terrain, you may have some difficulties in getting good pitch. Usually if you are pitching on the only flat spot you can find, and it is adjacent to a rise so that some guylines end up having their angles messed up.

Fixed lines dont pitch lower for storms however. But you can always use a taughtline hitch.

I had to cut my lines to length myself, and tie loops.

Charlie Murphy
    BPL Member

@baltocharlie

Locale: MAryland

I use the tautline hitch(best version in link). Other versions can loosen but this one holds strong. Now I have yet to see 50+mph winds with my Hex. Results may very when I do.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:TautlineHitch-ABOK-1799.jpg

Joe sends a small spool of line with recommended lengths per position on tarp. He sends a few extra feet which I use to attach my bivy. Easy to cut and tie knots. Initially it seemed like tying with his line would be difficult but it was extremely easy. I camp where rocks abound(W.Va.) so adjustments needs are plentiful.

John Taylorson
    Spectator

@heyjt

Locale: SoCal

I've had my Hexamid for a little over a year spending an accumulative 4 weeks in mixed conditions from desert, snow and forest. I've never had a problem using the fixes length. There are times you might need to supplement with creative guy configurations ( i.e. clove hitch on the stake for a shorter guy) but for the most part, fixed lines work.

Andrew Skurka uses fixed lines on his tarp configuration by tying a bowline on the tarp, placing the stake and looping the line around the stake and back up to the bowline loop, creating a trucker's knott config. He then uses a slippery half-hitch tie it off. His philosophy: less is better. I agree.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"Andrew Skurka uses fixed lines on his tarp configuration by tying a bowline on the tarp, placing the stake and looping the line around the stake and back up to the bowline loop, creating a trucker's knott config. He then uses a slippery half-hitch tie it off."

The loop around the stake and back ensures his line comes free, even it the stake does not.

Not exactly a "fixed line" is it?

And notice that his knots are at the tent body.

Also notice that he uses twice the amount of line in the process.

And last, he has to deal with frozen knots.

I'll stick with a LineLock3 at the tent, thank you.

YMMV, HYH, etc.

Sunny Waller
    BPL Member

@dancer

Locale: Southeast USA

I love my Hexamid but not so fond of the 8 lines you have to stake out. Micro Line Locs make staking it out so much eaiser

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

The beauty of the Hexamid Solo without the netting is its minimalist simplicity. Adding anything to it would be like a cold sore on Mona Lisa's lip.

Darren M.

@dmacdaddy

Locale: West

Always amazed at how peoples opinions form. Simply put, I've used my hexamid twin with and without the micro line locs and there is no way I'm going to give them up. Clearly, it depends on the type of terrain that you are using them in. I camp typically in some rocky areas and have found the benefit of adjusting the line a snap, when you don't have flexibility with your stake location. Can you do without them? Of course, but what is the negative vs. the positive of having them? So many times I'd have to angle my lines or readjust them so much more frequently before the locs- it's annoying and the only negative is the weight. The extra .25 ounces has been tolerable (sarcasm smile).

Once my stakes are in, I may or may not need to just tighten one up to get a perfect pitch. Also, they are quite durable, and I've been surprised that I haven't had to replace one yet in two seasons.

So, rather than the old, "I've never needed them so they must not be necessary"…Try them, you may find them quite slick.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

If you like line locs, use them.

I never had the need. I seem to find good sites where they are not needed and the fixed lines work for me. But gawd, those line locs sure are heavy ;)

Trace Richardson
    BPL Member

@tracedef

Love having line locs to fine tune the pitch on my Hexamid …. no brainer for next to no weight and the convenience they bring, imho. Could go without as others mentioned but pretty nice having them …. no issues with the default cord sent with the tent …. it is stiff and works well in my experience although I will very likely switch out with triptease or something that reflects light in the future …..

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools