Topic

where to buy instant beans ?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition where to buy instant beans ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Locale: SF Bay Area

Hi,

I'd like to try making some beans and rice on the trail and thought these would be good:

http://www.amazon.com/Santa-Fe-Bean-Vegetarian-7-25-Ounce/dp/B000FICDO8

Does any know if these (or anything equivalent) are sold in retail stores? I'd like to give it a try at home since the amazon offering is for a large quantity.

Thanks,

rhz

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I've found some in the bulk bins at Whole Foods. Not all the stores carry them, so you may need to hunt around a bit.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Mexicali Rose, on Amazon is Great! Pinto, and Black Bean Refries

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I buy beans from http://www.harmonyhousefoods.com – the beans are precooked and dried (which, yes, you can also do at home I might add!). I prefer whole beans over refried style, that is just me :-)

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

My local Carrs/Safeway has dried bean flakes in their bulk food bins. They make good burritos, or soup.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

My Safeway does as well (maybe it's an Alaskan Safeway thing?) There are also boxes on the shelf (mostly in the Organic Food section) that have bean soups, etc, with dried beans plus seasoning, etc. But the bulk bins would be a lot less expensive.

For some reason, we never think to TELEPHONE the grocery store, but you actually can. Ask them if they stock dried beans in their bulk food section and they'll run over, check, and tell you. That can save a lot of gasoline and time driving around town.

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

i have pounded back hundreds of 7oz bags of dehydrated refried beans from Fantastic Foods over the years. but i'v had to mail order away for them. same for Deboles corn pasta.

fear not buying a case or two. it's not like they have a shelf life. plastic beans will bring the same Goodness to your camp and home 5 yrs from now as they will today.

you can toss synthetic beans into any polymer based entree and it will nought but improve it.

v.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools