Topic

Favorite balaclava (sub 1.5 oz)

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
PostedJul 4, 2013 at 10:21 am

I have a Mountain Hardwear (powerstretch?) balaclava that weighs in around 1.4 oz. I'm happy with the weight, but I'm looking for something a bit more comfortable. It doesn't pull down too well over my chin. It works great when I let it sit on my nose, but there just isn't enough stretchiness/room. Thoughts?

Tony Ronco BPL Member
PostedJul 4, 2013 at 11:27 am

I really like the Patagonia Capilene 4 Balaclava (HE). It's a great piece for me.
1.2 oz, compacts down very small, nicely warm, stretchy, and very breathable
(It is made from Polartec Power Dry – the High Efficiency version)

For my head shape, it easily & comfortably pulls down below the chin. YMMV.

Be aware that it is not intended to offer wind protection – for wind protection, you'll need to use it in conjunction with your shell's hood … that is, if you expect your balaclava to offer good wind protection as a stand alone piece.

PostedJul 4, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Wickers.com has some nice stuff. My large mid-weight balaclava is 1.4oz and very comfortable.

PostedJul 5, 2013 at 11:49 am

I can't do balaclavas. Feels like suffocating no matter what brand, honestly. I use a merino wool bandanna and an OR Windstopper Peruvian Hat. Good system, since it covers my neck too. Don't think it's more than 2.5oz.

YMMV

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Loading...