Topic

unscented body wipes?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) unscented body wipes?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Locale: SF Bay Area

Hi,

A recent thread

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=79041

made mention of two body wipes I didn't know about:

http://showerpill.com/product

and

http://www.actionwipes.com/pages/about-action-wipes

Both claim to be lightly scented. I'd prefer something unscented in bear country. Is anyone aware of an unscented body wipe?

Thanks,

rhz

Zorg Zumo

@burnnotice

You might look into baby wipes. They are typically unscented. They are what I use.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Just because humans can't smell unscented wipes doesn't mean the bears can't.

Paul Andronico
    BPL Member

@jakesandwich

Locale: Lake Tahoe

Wet Wipes makes a wipe for sensitive skin that is unscented. They come in a green package of 15.

Zorg Zumo

@burnnotice

Well unless there is evidence that bears associate unscented baby wipes with food, I wouldn't worry about it. You have more problems ridding yourself of the scent of that trout you decided to grill up for lunch :)

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Bears associate all interesting smells with the possibility of food, I wouldn't rule out baby wipes.

But from what I have heard, there should be nothing to worry about the scent on your skin. That will be inter-mingled with your own "animal" odor, so a bear would know that the smell is coming from a person and should shy away. The wipes themselves are more the issue than the odor it may leave on you. Still, I agree to avoid heavily scented wipes (and sunscreen etc).

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Here's my fav. Been using them for years.

here

John Holmes

@jcholmes

Locale: SouthEastern US

Been using the Target store brand of unscented hypoallergenic baby wipes for years. Certainly no smell that a human can detect. Dunno about bears…not many of those in the SE.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

I've been using the Action Wipes for about a year now, mostly at the return trailhead before I get a shower. They definitely have a light scent. I'm cleaner and smell better after, so they work for me. Don't know if they attract bears.

— Rex

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I never heard of "wipes" until I joined BPL.

If you are near a stream or lake, jump in. Otherwise a bandanna (multi-use) and a little water should suffice.

Gregory Nelson
    BPL Member

@greginhawaii

Scent Away has unscented wipes used for hunting. There are some other brands too. I think one is Dead Down Wind

Ronald Umphress

@rumphr555

Strangely enough, Walmart has some Coleman biodegradable unscented wipes in the camping department.

Matt Purnell

@treefern

Locale: Brisbane

Seemed to work on my last trip. On trip just added a bit of water to dried wipe, and it worked fine. Cut weight penalty down drastically.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

What's the difference between a dried wipe and a bandana? Except the bandana is multi-use.

Matt Purnell

@treefern

Locale: Brisbane

In my context I have very limited water. So can't rinse food waste off a bandana. Even if could, would end up with a wet, smelly bandana (wet environment, plus sensitive so don't use detergents)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools