Topic

Solo Tent Help

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Solo Tent Help

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello all,

First off I'd like to say I'm looking forward to being apart of this site. Been snooping around here for a little while,
    and decided I wanted to make the leap into the forum community. So I recently have been doing quite a bit of research on my future hike and trailing solo tent, and have came to a halt on two that I really do like, but I feel that there's usually always more options that I'm not aware of and would like a bit of insight.

My top two are

1. MSR Hubba Hp
    2. Vaude Hogan Ultralight Argon

So far I really like what the above options have to offer, but I would like any comments from users that have used them personally.
    I haven't been able to find any real reliable reviews or videos showing the performance of the Hogan Ultra Light Argon.
    I am up for as many recommendations or leads as possible of any tents that meet the category.

I'm looking for an 'Ultralight' solo tent that is not a bottomless tent or tarp shelter. Needs to have a floor and mesh surrounding such as the ones listed. A tent That will provide me with substantial weather resilience. (Heavy rain & Harsh Wind) Weight should be anywhere between 2-3.5 lbs max. I do a lot of Dayhiking, trailing and Bushcraft, so I'm looking for a tent that can pack down easy and is a quick setup.

Thanks in advance

– Alex

Anonymous
    Inactive
    John Holmes

@jcholmes

Locale: SouthEastern US

I loved my Hubba…I'm sure you would too. Bomber, dry, roomy. Just a tad heavy. Take a look at the Tarptent Notch. I recently made the switch from Hubba and love it. Almost everything the Hubba was but 1/2 the weight. It is a bit smaller, but that's to be expected :)

David Ure

@familyguy

Funny, having used the Hubba, I found the Notch has much more usable space. More width, the same length, and more peak height.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I'd look closely at the two Tarptent models above. I have a TT Moment and love it. With a crossing pole it becomes freestanding.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Check out Mountain Hardwear SuperMega UL1. I have the UL2 version and I do love it. It pretty much got all solid reviews and I do believe it is storm worthy. Its a solid lightweight tent that is simple to pitch..think seconds, not minutes. I think its worth looking too.

David Ure

@familyguy

I saw the UL1 recently. You can't sit up in it. Not to mention, it is not long enough for anyone over 6 foot. What a disaster. The UL2 is very nice, however.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

ah haa. OK, like I said, I have the UL2 and I love it. I wasnt 100% sure about the UL1…so maybe he should consider looking at the UL2..

Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

Locale: Northeast USA

There are lots of options you can look at. First, if you like the Vaude, it is pretty similar to the Easton Mountain Products Kilo 2P. They also make a 1P version. I would also look at the following options:

Big Agnes Fly Creek UL and UL platinum series
    Tarp Tent
    Six moon designs skyscape series or lunar solo
    Nemo meta 1P

I have a nemo meta 1P I'd be willing to sell for pretty cheap, its only been used once – had to buy it for someone to use on a trip last minute – it works great I just don't need three tents. PM me if interested. Happy hunting on those other options!

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

I have a BA Copper Spur UL1. That is really an excellent tent. Basically the same design as the Hubba you are considering, but it has more room AND it's lighter. I use it on my sea kayaking trips. If you are looking for a non-cottage-industry tent, I'd lean that way.

I got a Tarptent Moment DW this spring and have been using that for my backpacking trips. It's very light and has similar living space to the Copper Spur. It's a lovely tent. Since I'm often in places where it is very difficult to drive in stakes, I appreciate the 2-stake pitch with the hoop pole. I can always find a spot to wiggle 2 stakes into the ground while my experience with other shelters that require a lot of different staking points has been pretty unpleasant (that's why I didn't consider the Notch even though I always travel with trekking poles).

The only downside is that you need to do your own seam sealing with Tarptents. This turned out to be pretty easy and effective, but factory seam tape would have been nice. Also, the aluminum hoop pole on the Moment is a little soft and flexy in the wind. I understand that they now have a carbon pole that may stiffen things up. But overall I'm very impressed with my Moment DW.

You can see it in use in my most recent trip video: Hiking Across Kodiak Island

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the replies guys, I will consider all the recommendations. Especially the tarp tents now that I see how similar the dimensions are.
    Please keep in mind that the Ultralight 1 person tent I'm looking for has to be somewhat spacious..nothing crazy.
    enough for me to sit up in and have some room for maybe a bag. Again storm proven quality (Heavy rain and wind)

Has anyone used or owned the Vaude Hogan Argon or their Ultralight series?

David Ure

@familyguy

I agree Joe. The UL2 would be a great choice as well. My buddy used his recently in Zions National Park and I was impressed by the space to weight ratio.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Phil,

That was a great video of your Alaskan trip. Good videography.
    I'd have carried my large bear spray can at the least and maybe a S&W Ti .44 mag. for good luck.

I'm selling my original single wall Moment to a BPL member and getting the Moment DW with a "semi-solid" inner for 4 season use. With the crossing pole I feel it would make a great solo winter tent.

Anonymous
    Inactive

After a few more hours of digging deep on the forums and online, I'm really starting to lean towards the Terra-Nova tents.
    Two in particular.

Terra Nova Solar Competition 2
    Terra Nova SoloLite

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

How tall are you ?
    (there is a hidden clue in my question Re your last post…)

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Locale: Denmark

Hi Alexander

Fwiw, I have the Huppa Hp and the Solar Comp 1.

The Hp is a bomber tent, more of a winter tent.
    The Solar Comp is more a summer tent. About 300g lighter than the Huppa Hp.

They are both great.

Imo, trying to go light in a traditional 1p tent, there will always be some compromises. First, before buying anything, Make a prioritised list with features you would like to see in your dream tent. Share that with us.

Myself, I dream of the perfect cuben fiber, stormproof, trekking pole setup'ed, outer pitch first, solid interior with mesh backed side entrance door, roomy, sub 1kg (including poles) tent.

Turley
    BPL Member

@turley

Locale: So Cal

I'd take a look at Big Sky International. I recently purchased their Revolution 1P and am impressed with the design (two doors / two vestibules), quality of construction/attention to detail, and ease of setup.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Franco

I'm 5'9 and Slim Athletic Build

@Peter
    S

I want a 1 person ultralight tent, maybe a little more luxurious space For gear that I want inside with me and not just in the Vestibule. Sitting up in the tent is a must. It Needs to have good ventilation features. I need a storm resilient tent, because I tend to Wild camp and go for backpacking adventures that sometimes turn into over-nighters. It's not uncommon for me to get caught in some nasty weather. I am a big fan of the geodesic style shapes.
    The Solar competition 2 hits the nail on the head for just about everything I want in a backpacking tent.
    But I'm open for anymore suggestions.

No floorless tents/Tarptents

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Hexamid with ground sheet.

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

@Alexander:

FWIW, the sololite is a heavy, cheap tent. I wouldn't buy that, since you haven't mentioned that you are on a budget… ;-)

I see two factors in narrowing down the tent choices:
    -I think a lot comes down to just how storm resilient you want the tent to be?
    -You said 2-3.5 lbs / 900g-1.6kg. That's quite the spectrum?

Is there a reason you don't want a TarpTent? The Scarp 1 seems to fit the bill otherwise.

I am very fond of my Solar Comp, but there's definitely more stormproof tents out there. I would guess the 2 person version would be similar in this regard. Again, it comes down to your storm resilient needs.

I would rather be in my Hubba Hp in a storm than the Solar Comp.

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Christopher, do you mind telling which fabric, poles, options etc. you went with in the Revolution 1P? And of course the weight? ;-)

Thanks, Peter

Anonymous
    Inactive

The Hubba HP was my number one contender for a while, but I cant seem to find a seller anywhere.
    That's why the Solar Comp 2 has taken it's place. As far as how storm resilient I would say most common is heavy rain downpour and 25-30 mph winds.

Abraham Schlossberg
    BPL Member

@ernda

Locale: Southern California

I have a not-much used hubba HP somewhere I can sell (forgive me, I know this isn't the sell-your-gear forum). It's several years old but I can't get it out if you're in a hurry since I'm on a trip next week.

Tanner M

@tan68

If rain will be a typical thing you will run into, you might want to consider the ease with which a tent can be put up and still be dry…

The single wall tents will generally go up and be as dry inside as is possible. Tents with a separate fly usually require the body to be pitched and then the fly thrown over.

This might be more or less a concern for you. You know how often you run into rain. Sometimes it isn't hard to wait a bit and put it up during a lull or you might be under trees or who knows what. Just a thing I thought I would mention..

That MHW tent looks like you could put the fly up over the poles and then lay the body out under it and start clipping it in from the back… In a pinch. I think it would be less wet. Not dry. Might not work so well in the wind unless the fly can be secured. Might not work at all. Someone that has used it might know..

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

Alex,

As others have pointed out, your range of 2.0-3.5 lbs isn't really ultralight, but if you're looking for a traditional tent, most decent solos will fall in that range.

However, one UL tent you might consider is the Gossamer Gear TheOne, which is a fully enclosed tent and weighs only 1 lb, hence the name.
    GG isn't making them just now and since they are completely revamping their line of shelters, it remains to be seen if they will continue making them. However, they turn up regularly on the Gear Swap Forum. TheOne can be set up with 2 trekking poles, but you can also use shock cord tent poles sold by GG.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools