Topic

ZPacks sleeping bag sizing question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ZPacks sleeping bag sizing question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

I just got my ZPacks 20 bag in the mail the other day. First, let me say that I'm very impressed with the loft of the bag. Nice color, too. Now on to sizing. I ordered a medium length (5'10"). While I'm only 5'7", I notice that when the bag is cinched around my neck, my feet are pressing against the very bottom of the bag. Is this normal? I know the bag is designed to be a tight fit, but I thought there would be a little bit of wiggle room since I'm well under the specified size. Thoughts?

Nate Boyer
    BPL Member

@nateb123

I'm 6'2" and Joe had me order an extra long.

I like it.

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

As long as your feet are not compressing the insulation you will be fine, if your feet are pressing on the outer fabrics then its to short.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I went around and around with ZPacks about the sizing. First, the web site was misleading about length. I called that to their attention, and they immediately started changing the wording.

A medium length (5'10") does not mean that the sleeping bag is 5'10" long. It means that it is intended for use by a person of that height. So, they are making some assumptions about how much neck and head is supposed to be sticking out. I like to get most of my head down within the bag, so I ended up with a long size. Every other sleeping bag that I own is a medium/regular size and is plenty long, so this shows differences between a mummy bag and a non-mummy.

Also, don't pay much attention to the exterior length of the bag. The person goes inside, so it is the interior length that should be of concern.

After the size problems were weeded out, the bag has turned out to be pretty good for an ultralight bag.

–B.G.–

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

My toes are pressing against the outer fabric. Or rather, when my feet are pointing up,they poke through the insulation such that the only thing between the air and my toes is the fabric of the bag. Will my toes get cold like this?

I'm used to a shaped footbox, so I'm not sure how my feet will fare. I think the bag fits me (barely), but there just isn't a whole lot of room for my feet. Perhaps it's less of a length issue than a girth issue (around the feet).

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

I am 5'6 and ordered a 30F zPacks bag… I have plenty of room for my feet.. even enough room to pull the sack up over my chin…

but are you talking horizontal length/room or are you talking vertical room? It is a tight fit everywhere… do you have big feet?

bill d

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

To add to my previous incomplete post… I ordered a 30F zPacks bag 5' 10" like you and I am 5'6"… or maybe 5' 6 1/2"… I am slim and have sixe 8 feet.

at one point you talk about your feet up against the bottom of the bag and than up against the top of the bottom of the bag… If I am reading you correctly. So I'm not sure if your complaint is about the length of the bag or the amount of space/circumference of the bag in the foot section.

If you are talking the length… maybe they shipped you a bag that is shorter than the 5' 10" size… you could ask Joe for the dimensions of a 5' 10" size bag and then measure to make sure.

If you are talking the amount of room for your feet as in circumference in the foot section not being enough… then maybe you should return it for the wider cut bag…

bill d

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

In any event… email Joe Valesko at zPacks and he will fix you up… with either a longer or wider bag…. or both

bill d

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Hi Bill,

We're about the same height. I'm maybe 5'7" and about 140 lbs. The girth of the bag overall is snug (in a good way), except down at the feet. To clarify, you can see my toes poking at the top of the footbox area. I wear 9 1/2 size shoes. The length is barely adequate. When I really pull the bag around my neck my feet are pushed all the way to the bottom of the bag. I'm used to have some breathing room for my feet, but maybe this just takes some getting used to. I definitely don't have enough bag to pull over my chin like you do.

Kevin Schneringer
    BPL Member

@slammer

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands

I also have a Zpacks bag, 10* regular width, and the foot box is snug. I have also noticed my feet are pressing against the fabric.
    I have not noticed any insulation compression though.

I have had my bag out to 13* with no issues. I did have to add my puffy jacket(cold sleeper) But feet were just fine.

I noticed tonight that there is a SIZE UP notice on the bag section of Zpacks website. This seems to follow what we may have discovered ourselves. That we need a bit more room!

If I had to do it again I would definitely size up. But all in all I really love the Zpack bag.

So one else said it earlier but get with Joe I am sure he can work it out for you.
    I have spent a good bit of $ with him and I haven't found better customer service anywhere.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Kevin,

the shape of the bag, being kind a flat and no real foot box construction could lend itself to your complaint… I have not noticed a problem with it… though I have not used it all that much and I tend to sleep on my side with my feet horizontal to the ground which may fit into the foot section better than when lying on your back with your feet pointing up…

these are not the most sophisticated bags… their focus is more on saving weight than on comfort, me thinks…

you could buy a pair of down booties if your feet get cold… just like you will likely want to buy a goose down hood to keep you head warm if it gets below freezing…

b

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Dave,
    Contact Joe.
    Communicate with the guy.
    He's easy to work with. He'll help you figure it out.

It doesn't matter how any other bag fits anyone else. Don't even consider booties as a fix, or sleeping with you knees up, or whatever.

You need a bag that fits You.

BTW, I spent about 3 weeks emailing back and forth before pulling the trigger. He was patient, informative, and understanding. And I love my bag.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

The foot box on mine has just enough space, but only just enough, no excess. I am 6 foot and went for an extra long. Would definitely recommend sizing up with ZPacks quilts length wise. Overall I love mine. It's my third quilt and by far the best in terms of design and performance.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools