Topic

Hoover Wilderness from Leavitt Lake

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Hoover Wilderness from Leavitt Lake

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Bill Law
    BPL Member

@williamlaw

Locale: SF Bay Area

I drove last weekend (June 21-23) to Leavitt Lake off CA 108 and hiked to Cinko Lk and back. 2 nights, 20 or so miles and a fair bit of uphill (for me).

"Full" trip report (and more pictures)

Notes

1. Leavitt Lake Road is pretty rough. I would strongly discourage anybody trying it in a car or if you don't want your vehicle scratched. There was one particularly difficult bit which required hugging a tree on one side and making sure one's opposite wheel hit a rock in the middle, else risking sliding into 18" holes on either side. I fretted about the return trip the whole time I was out.

2. Snow is almost gone (on the trail). The road up and over Big Sam looked to still be covered in places, but is likely melted in the recent heat wave.

3. Fair number of PCT thru-hikers northbound, which suggests the snow coverage isn't proving too much of an obstacle going through the High Sierra further south.

4. Mosquitos started around 9200' down to the meadow (worse the lower one got). Moderate in places; worse in the morning/evening, less so midday.

Leavitt Lk:
    Leavitt Lake

Tower Peak
    Leavitt Lake

Big Sam
    Leavitt Lake

Walker Meadow
    Leavitt Lake

West Walker River
    Leavitt Lake

Cinko Lake
    Leavitt Lake

Charles P
    Spectator

@mediauras

Locale: Terra

Excellent. I was going to go out of Leavitt Lake the weekend before but I was told by a ranger the road was still closed at that point. We ended up going out of Twin Lakes (up Little Slide Canyon over Mule Pass and on to Peeler Lake). Had a blast, great time of year to be in Hoover.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I'm very surprised to see all that snow. Thank you for the great pics.
    Duane

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools