Topic

Pack-4-Back

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Pack-4-Back

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Alex Guppy

@alexguppy

After reading a few recent articles on lightweight camping chairs, the reluctance to carry them, and the joy of sitting on them, I thought I would post my own preferred back-support method.

I use a framed backpack to which I attach two pieces of rope near the top. My backpack has a handle conveniently located for this purpose, but almost everyone's pack has something. Then I tie those two strands of rope around a tree, or I use my hiking pole and a tent stake to create tension. Then I just plop down on the ground, buckle myself in with the waist strap and lean back. It's perfect for reading a book or journaling. The only trouble is just getting it right so that the rope doesn't dig into your neck or shoulders.

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

Ingenious, but requires a tree. I camp mostly in treeless alpine terrain. Went for years without a chair, but decided this year that I want one. I'm tired of being jealous in camp of my companions when they whip out their nice comfortable chairs and I'm sitting on a slice of z-rest on the ground.

Steve M
    BPL Member

@steve-2

Locale: Eastern Washington

Neat idea–and a good use of available resources.

Not really multi-use but one of my favorite luxury items is a home-made version of this:

http://store.kifaru.net/field-chair-p27.aspx

Mine weighs in at 6.5 oz and has fixed length fiberglass stays as the supports. I carry it on almost all my hikes now as it adds significant comfort for reading/writing/campfire dreaming etc. It's also nice to have a chair when you are stuck under a tarp/shelter in bad weather.

Jake S

@spags

YouTube video

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Jake,
    I see that the Asian squat is not recommended to people with unusually large breasts.
    Now, I don't want to cause any damage to my almost perfect body (apart from my unusually large breasts) so I will probably upload a shot of said breasts for evaluation.
    I hope that some of the resident breast experts will be able to chime in.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Jake,

I liked the video. Funny but true.

I'd love to be able to do the Asian Squat. I am not and never have been flexible enough.

Franco,

Seems like large breasts would provide counter balance.

McDowell Crook
    BPL Member

@mcdcrook

Locale: Southeast

If I'm hiking solo I like to relax and read for long stretches of time. Nothing beats the Alite Designs Mayfly chair. A bit heavy at 1.4 lbs. but worth it on certain trips.

http://shop.alitedesigns.com/mayfly-chair.html

Scott Tanner

@scott-tanner

I just sling a foam sleeping pad 1/2 on a rock or fallen log and half on the ground. Sit on the part on the ground and lean back onto the part on the log/rock. Stretch legs out and relax. Super comfy, easy to do and great in camp and for short breaks. No extra weight because your using an item you already have. Not sure if it would be advised with and inflatable pad though. Might be too much of a risk for a puncture but I use foam.

If one was going to carry a chair that was around or over a pound then why not just bring an UL hammock (grand trunk ultralight, $15 on amazon, 12.4 oz out of box, mine weighs in at 11.1 oz with modified suspension). Ditch the heavy ropes and carabiners or S-hooks. Replace with whoopies and tree straps, learn marlin spike hitch, and you have a chair you can lay in for less than a chair that weighs in at around a pound. Setup is around 2 mins. Even if you sleep on the ground in a tent or tarp and you just bring it to sit/relax in, if your going to bring a heavy chair and you have trees then hammock seems the way to go.

Mike Henrick
    Spectator

@hikerbox

Locale: Boston

I carry a GG nightlight and thinlight pad. The thinlight pad stays acessible so I can nap on it or fold it over, lay it out in front of a tree and set my pack up against the tree. It makes for a very comfortable chair.

Gerald L
    Spectator

@mtngeronimo

Locale: SoCal

Jake, No wonder I keep falling off the toilet seat, I have been doing the western squat! Thank you so much for the informative post. I will be buying several copies of the book to pass on to my friends and off course a copy to leave in the 'library'. This just may be the beginning of a great movement.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools