Topic

Buswhacking gaiters.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Buswhacking gaiters.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I'm looking for a pair of tough gaiters that can deflect sharp scrub and branches. All of the gaiters I have looked at are coated waterproof nylon.
    I want something that's actually breathable for hot weather. They should be fairly lightweight but very tough and any other color than black for hot weather.
    What are my options?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Justin,
    I know you read the SOTM gaiter review by Will R., or at least parts of it…

Will wrote –
    "Overall, my favorite gaiters in the group are the Mountain Hardwear Scree and the Montbell Stretch Semi-Long Spats."

– and he tells why. Both meet your criteria.

What other features are you looking for?

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Greg, I think we are talking about different types of gaiters with a different purpose. There are light trail gaiters meant to keep debris out of your shoes like the ones mentioned it the sotm gaiter report.
    I'm talking about the heavier knee high gaiters made from cordura (or similar fabric). They protect your legs and pants from abuse while walking through dense brush. Kinda like chaps.
    I know that Roger Caffin did an article on his myog bushwacking gaiters but I have no sewing skills.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Justin,

I use the OR Verglas Gaiters and I like them enough for bushwhacking that I'd recommend them. I do sweat a little when wearing them but not enough for it to be a deal breaker. I'm looking for something that is as durable and breathes better but haven't found them yet.

Barry Cuthbert
    BPL Member

@nzbazza

Locale: New Zealand

http://www.cactusequipment.co.nz/online-shop/gaiter-selection/dupergaiters/76-78

These gaitors are robust!! They guard against all sorts of brush and spiky plants, not to mention rock and snow/ice. I've had a pair for over 10 years for my tramping on anything other than manicured tracks. My favourite feature is the foam shin guard.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

The OR Rocky Mountain High Gaiter are water resistant Packcloth,not waterproof like most of their gaiters and more breathable and a little lighter than the Verglas the which are waterproof breathable,they are also knee high.They are $40 not on sale and it is pretty east to find them on sale and weigh 193 grams or 6.8 ounces in size large.Sorry I missed the part about non black,these are black.If you have any army surplus stores near you the old tan or green colored thick canvas gaiters can be found at a lot of them for fairly cheap. Etsy has someone that makes copies of military gaiters in khaki/tan cotton twill and backed in canvas for stability and strength,or olive green wool blend and backed in canvas for stability and strength if you are having a problem finding something you like you can contact the maker through their Etsy page.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Or how about these (Rob from Ragged Mountain says he will have the green color gaiters back in stock in August),Or these .

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I have some REI gaiters that are made of thick Cordura that do an excellent job of keeping out spiky stuff. I've thrashed through miles of that stuff that grows at around 5,000 feet in the Sierra with the inch-long spikes (anybody know the name?) and they didn't poke through. They have a nice smooth outer face so they don't snag. They are uncoated. It's been about 5 years since I bought them but they look basically identical to these:

http://www.rei.com/product/838677/rei-trail-gaiters

My wife has a pair too and we wore them through this bushwhack adventure near Cherry Lake:

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Andrew,The REI ones are black which he doesn't want .In my second post I linked him to the womens version(same material)but not black and on sale.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

It seems like almost all gaiters are black. If I can only find black then I will use it but I imagine they would be hotter under the sun.
    Those Ragged Mountain gaiters look really good and cheap. I will try and pick some of those up.
    Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Andrew I took your recommendation on the REI gaiters. They were on sale at my local store. I'm about to head out for a chaparral bushwacking trip and I will test them out.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools