Topic

Gear List- August to November Bicycle Tour, Eastern Canada

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Gear List- August to November Bicycle Tour, Eastern Canada

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I should be touring Canada by bike this year, from late August through to October or November. Here's my gear list thus-far:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnGMnzhurASwdFdSWExBZnpNR25vM2d2Ylg3U3dqMFE&usp=sharing

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Max,

Have you tested the MH and the Atom Sv to 30f? I would freeze my nuts off at 30f in that setup if I did not have more insulation on my bottom half.

Just my 2 euro cents worth mate, but I reckon the insulation on the SV and the bag could be well and truely thrashed after 3 months of continuous use. I use Synethic clothing a lot but mother it more than a Moma bear with her cubs.

I also take with a pinch of salt the ratings on Synthetic bags, Chris Townsend once wrote that out of 10 synthetic bags he tested that 9 of ratings where complete and utter lies.

Not to knock you but I don't want your Gentlemans bits to get a cold injury.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

Enjoyed the in-spreadsheet comments, particularly under "spoke."

Curious what the LM Wave will do at 8.5 oz that a lighter tool won't do? I also own a Wave and love it, but haven't considered carrying it on a trip, it's a chunk.

MacBook Air AND iPhone AND Nikon D7000? I think you are impersonating an office, sir. I'd be tempted to try and substitute an iPad for all three, but clearly you have a vision.

Bogs and Bergs

@islandized

Locale: Newfoundland

It'll be beautiful…but it can get pretty cold in Eastern Canada by November, some years. Frozen puddles. Sleet. I don't usually have the summer bag out past early October, myself. Don't skimp on the warm, for goodness sake.

And mind the moose! The boys are in quite the mood that time of year. :)

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

45 degree rating for a 22 oz sleeping bag is heavy. An investment in a EE revelation or rev x would shave over half a pound off. The benifets are endless.

Ditch the camera and laptop for a 8-9" tablet with built in camera. You can still access the internet and work but you will be saving about 4-5 pounds or something insane like that. Now you can nix the Osprey mini backpack and save another 18 oz.

Ditch the insulated bottle, 11.4 oz for a bottle? no thanks.

Ditch the rain pants, consider nixing the pants or shorts too, pick one.

Nix the 2 pound hammock for a 1 pound ground shelter.

Nix one of your crew shirts.

Kate Magill
    BPL Member

@lapedestrienne

A 3 lb sleeping bag that is only comfortable to 30* with heavy tights and a puffy seems like a problem to me… Time to replace? For 3 lbs (and lots of cash) you can find a down bag that'll keep you *toasty* to ~15* or lower for many many years. Or, as suggested above, save a bunch of weight for not a huge investment by going with a RevX quilt from Tim. For the Maritimes in the fall, I'd want something comfortable down to at least 20*.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Need a bike breakdown on that list. Poor form dude.

That spoke won't do you much good without a cassette tool, given that 98% of breakages are on the driveside of the rear wheel.

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

missing weights on many items.

the tripod lists a closed cell foam pad but you also list a separate sitpad and sleeping pad. could some of those be consolidated?

Then there is a separate bag listed to cover the tripod. why does it have to be wrapped in foam then put in a bag? a non-waterproof bag at that?

again will echo the comments on sleeping bags. a synthetic sleeping bag won't be very warm by the end of a multi-month trip, but will still way the same.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools