Topic

FB cooking & weight

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition FB cooking & weight

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I love freezer bag cooking.
    1. low sodium options
    2. great tasting meals
    3. customization of recipies
    4. relative low cost compared to freeze dried food
    5. home dehydrated food gives many options (i.e. "spaghetti sauce leather")

But many of my meals taste SO much better when I add retort pouch meats like shrimp, chicken, ham, etc. Chicken soup becomes REAL chicken soup when chunks of retort pouch chicken is added.

However those aluninized retort pouches are HEAVY. I gotta begin trying to dehydrate their contents.

Has anyone tried this? If so, with any success in retaining good flavor?

Renais A
    BPL Member

@renais

I regularly dehydrate canned chicken, either by itself, or preferably as part of a meal I am preparing. It rehydrates quite well, with minimal impact on texture and flavor. I've also done shrimp from cans with some success, but I prefer dehydrating frozen shrimp: better flavor and less salt.
    Jim

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Thanks Jim,

I'm getting some chicken and shrimp (frozen) and trying out the dehydration route.

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

Eric,
    Another good way is cook chicken breasts, cool, shred and dehydrate. They rehydrate fairly quickly and have way less sodium.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools