Topic

California Fire Restrictions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion California Fire Restrictions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Michael Matiasek
    Spectator

@matiasek

Wow it is amazing how inconsistent the interpretations are, even within the same forest.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Wow it is amazing how inconsistent the interpretations are, even within the same forest."

One national forest might have several districts, and each district office might manage things differently based on different conditions. Worse, some of the people in the district offices interpret rules and definitions differently.

In one office, I was told two completely conflicting answers to my fire questions, and that was within five minutes. So, they had a management problem.

–B.G.–

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

I don't think it's districts, it's opinions among staff that vary. I called desolation yesterday like Duane and the nice lady – did not ask for her name (would not hang her out to dry anyway) said that Alcohol stoves were okay. It fell under contained fuel I think, anyway, different interpretations for sure. It's summer. It's hot and dry. I'll schlep the 2 oz. Snow Peak Lite Max this time.

Jeff Sims
    BPL Member

@jeffreytsims

Locale: So. Cal

I called desolation yesterday like Duane and the nice lady – did not ask for her name (would not hang her out to dry anyway) said that Alcohol stoves were okay. It fell under contained fuel I think, anyway, different interpretations for sure.

I called the Whitney Ranger Station and received the same response. Both Alki and Esbit OK… they said just no wood or open fire like in a fire ring or pit.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools