Topic

How Much Canister Fuel For 5 Nights in Lassen

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) How Much Canister Fuel For 5 Nights in Lassen

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    John Coyle

@bigsac

Locale: NorCal

My friend, his brother and I are planning a 5 night backpack in Lassen National Park in July. I normally use an alcohol stove, but for this trip we are considering consolidating equipment and taking my new Olicamp/FireMaple 117t and XTS as the only stove. I am calculating having to boil water for freezer bag type meals and coffee for three, plus perhaps one night of actual cooking. I've been using alcohol stoves for so long that I'm not familiar with the longevity of canisters. Would one 250G canister last this trip?

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

In short, yes. I have the same pot but paired up with a soto odr. I've found that this pot boils water faster but I haven't found any improvement with my fuel economy. I typically will burn .5oz of fuel for every liter of 40* water with this pot. I assume that you won't need coffee on day one or dinner on day 5. If the three of you were to boil 1.5 liters every night for four nights (3oz fuel total) and 1 liter every morning for four mornings (2oz fuel total) you should have a little left over.

I'd do a few test boils with your system to make sure your fuel economy is the same as mine though.

Christopher Kuzak

@kc

Use a Jetboil so won't comment on fuel use. Just want to note, assuming you're going through the east portion of the park, make a trip up Red Cinder if you get the chance. Spectacular views from a not-as-well-visited location. Also, bring plenty of deet. Some of the worst skeeters I've ever seen were when I was backpacking through Lassen.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I live a little south of the Park, mosquitoes are getting a little thicker per my camping trip close to home last weekend. I'm out every weekend camping or bping and that was the most activity so far this year. Caribou Wilderness next to Lassen VNP is notorious for bad mosquitoes. Have fun.
    Duane

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools