Topic

?? Vest OR full sleeve down coat??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion ?? Vest OR full sleeve down coat??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    kevin campbell
    BPL Member

@rockymtbiker

Locale: Michigan

I see that vests are pretty popular. So, you are clearly giving up something, but what are you gaining other than the loss of weight?

I like vests, but haven't honestly really relied on a vest to keep me warm to survive OR just stay warm when I can't go into the house OR car for some extra layers OR full jacket!

I'm buying one of the other this week, so I best make up my mind fast!

I do most of my hiking in the summer here in Michigan. I'll likely wear it to bed to assist keeping me warm on those cold nights in my tent.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I already have a windproof-rainproof shell on my rain jacket, so I don't need another one. For insulation, I have one down inner jacket and one down vest.

If I think the weather might get a little cool, I can take the down inner jacket. If I think it will get downright cold, then I can take the down vest with it. In either case for wind, the rain jacket goes over it.

–B.G.–

Piney
    BPL Member

@drewjh-2

I carry down sleeves for sleeping and always wear them since I like to stick my arms out of my quilt (stomach sleeper.) Add a vest and I have a versatile, fully modular system.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I just use vest.

I don't like the constriction of sleeves when I move my arms around.

Temperature of arms is less than torso so the insulation around torso does more good.

With long sleeve shirt, vest, and jacket for walking around, or shirt, vest, quilt sleeping I stay warm down to 20 F.

kevin campbell
    BPL Member

@rockymtbiker

Locale: Michigan

OK! I'm going with the vest!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools