Topic

Hate the Bowdlerizerometer Filter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website & Forum Support Hate the Bowdlerizerometer Filter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

The naughty word filter on this Forum is just silly to the extreme. Granted the overuse of profanities, particularly those of a sexual or scatological bent tend to show the impoverishment of certain people's vocabularies—BUT it's just plain over-invasive and stifles the way many of us speak and write. A little local color never hurt anyone.

We all are mature individuals in our little community, are we not?

D–m? verboten
    S–t? forbidden
    Crap?–let's see –such a handy word to describe underperforming gear. It gets by.
    Merde? a-ha, the filter is not multi-lingual.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

Vlad Putin

Huh, that one seems to pass the filter. I think it should be stuck in there with s–t and d–m.

Anyway, I don't think the filter is too extreme. We do get some traffic from Scouts and such, and while I'm sure they've heard the words plenty, we need to set a positive example for them.
    That's not to say that there aren't times when I find the best way I can express myself is with explatives but most situations don't warrant their use.
    If you do feel the need to use 'dirty' words to express yourself, as you pointed out, the filter only speaks English :).

Adam

kevin davidson

@kdesign

George W. Bush?—- wow, that one slipped through.

V. Putin ? far worse than s–t and d–m—-agreed

As for the Scouts—-in my experience, they can out-curse me off a cliff. "Example" indeed.

I do exhibit good breeding in the backcountry, though, by cocking my pinky when sipping tea out of my Snow Peak 600 mug. And I only curse when I take a leader fall.

I want my d–m back. So I can give one.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Today, I couldn't use "d-ike" as in a levee or wall to keep out water, because of the filter.
    Hello! The "d-ike" you might want to block is "d-yke".

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools