Topic

PCT Section Hiking Northbound with young kids…. advice please

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning PCT Section Hiking Northbound with young kids…. advice please

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Edward Z
    BPL Member

@fuzz

Locale: Sunny San Diego

Ok…

I've gained mountains of knowledge from all of you here and I am very grateful. Perhaps you can help me firm up some ideas.

I'm looking to take 3 kids, ages 12,10,8 on weekend (3 day) to week long trips up the PCT from San Diego and to section hike as a long term strategy. As we get farther north, the younger kids will be older and will start to join in.

I am blessed to have a family of educators and my kids are being home schooled and thus have ultimate freedom for schedules… I was going to work in a number of principles to make these section hikes educational and informative in addition to just plain fun. I have a buy off from the wife and am looking to start this summer/fall. These girls have all done trips in excess of 10 miles in a day and are excited backpackers. This would be geography/science/PE etc all rolled into one with a long term eye on the map northward.

Questions –

Reference logistics, I'm assuming I'd need to arrange with another like minded dad/mom so we have a shuttle friendly arrangement …. Advice needed on this aspect of section hiking… (Especially once we get more than an hour or two away from home in a vehicle)…

Safety – I know there are a lot of paranoid folks out there, of which I'm not one… but still a concern. Not wildlife safety but human safety…(I am a LE officer and do carry at all times … please no opinions on this)…. But is this a good idea with the kids? (Insert wife's voice with question mark)

Enjoyment – I have had many successful trips with these awesome kids… I know how to keep a day fun and they seem really interested…. do you think this idea will continue to be fun for a group this age?

Lastly- Has anyone done something like this? I know of balls and sunshine etc… but for the weekend warrior has anyone attempted this ? I wish there were two of me to drive 2 cars but alas! No such luck…

Thoughts???

Thanks so much…. I am REALLY excited about this but I want to make sure I'm not filling my dream on their backs… lol. (They really do seem excited to go and to plan)

Regards,

Ed and family.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools