Topic

New & Improved SuperUltralight Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists New & Improved SuperUltralight Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jordan Calicott

@shortmancal

Locale: Arkansas!

See if you can make this even lighter-

For a weekend summer outing in the southeast:

1. Gossamer Gear G6 Whisper (3.7 oz)
    2. Nunatak Arc Edge Bag (11 oz)
    3. Dancing Light Gear Silnylon Stuff Sack for bag (.25 oz)
    4. Gossamer Gear Thinlight Pad (1.9 oz)
    5. Gossamer Gear Polycryo Ground Cloth (1.3 oz)
    6. Bozeman Mountain Works Spintarp X-Lite (4.75 oz)
    7. Bozeman Mountain Works Aircore Spectra 1- 40′ (.16 oz)
    8. Dancing Light Gear Silnylon Stuff Sack for Shelter (.25 oz)
    9. Bozeman Mountain Works Lazr Ti Stakes- 6 (1.3 oz)
    10. 2 1L Platypus Bottles (1.6 oz)
    11. Katadyn MP1 Tablets- 6 (.18 oz)
    12. Homemade Esbit Stove (.1 oz)
    13. Esbit Tablets- 3 (1.5 oz)
    14. Snow Peak Ti Bowl w/ Homemade Foil Lid (1.7 oz)
    15. Taco Bell Plastic Spork (.1 oz)
    16. Dancing Light Gear Silnylon Stuff Sack for Kitchen (.25 oz)
    17. Matches in BPL Mini ZipLock Bag (.2 oz)
    18. GoLite Classic Socks (1 oz)
    19. BPL Mini Dropper w/ DEET (.2 oz)

Total Weight Carried: 31.44 = 1.9 lbs (minus food & water)

Any Suggestions?

jacob thompson
    Spectator

@nihilist37

Super Duper Ultralight.

Your list is looking good. My suggestion may be a little flawed but I’ll give it a try.

I’m sure you could find a campsite with trees to sting your tarp between so it is possible to drop two pegs there.

Could you lose any weight if you switched to GVP Hi vis Spectra?

Also I’ve been in contact with Ron Bell from MLD and he says that hes just finished testing some new SUL bags that will come in at 3.2oz when cut down. However, since you have made it down to this minascule volume do you need a bag that big? I would see if you could find a large stuff sack and sew some straps onto it. Could drop and oz or two there. Or you could ask Ron or maybe even Bill if they were kind enough to give you some plans or make one for you.

You could possibly lose the sleeping pad. Instead gather litter to put under your ground sheet.

I dont know if its possible to make a lighter bivy from large garbage bags, but maybe you could give it a try.

Ultimately I think your approaching a bottom limit to how far things can go. The next step I think would obviously be ditch the sleeping bag in place of a lighter more suitable clothing. I don’t know what your low temps are so maybe this isn’t possible. But good warm clothes and an 8oz sleeping bag liner could get you way down. The choice has to be made now if you want to remain in the status of hiker or minimalist. If you chose the latter you may drop the cook kit. 2 day weekends are not going to cause you body harm if you bring too little food. I’m sure you could live on Gorp and granola bars and fruit for a few days. You don’t need to cook for survival only for pleasure. (though I could be biased since I eat mostly raw food in place of cooking)

Other than those mostly rediculous attempts at reducing weight, I think your doing pretty damn good. I don’t really have access to many of the products in your list so I havent tried them and instead had to formulate my minimalist approach. I still have yet to go completely without gear but I will give this a go as soon as the weather here warms up.

I look foward to reading your feedback

Jordan Calicott

@shortmancal

Nice comments! I looked at the Goss. Gear Spectra 200 line (their lightest) and the BMW Spectra cord that I have is even lighter than the Goss. Gear cord. Good point about the stakes. I will just take 4 stakes instead of 6. I will also see about the new MLD pack. I think that I could get by with a pack about 1000-1500 cu in range. I might just try and make my own.
    I will post my updated gear list and see how much weight I have dropped and I will check on a clothing system that could possibly take place of a sleeping bag. Iam waiting for a free sample from Cueben Fabrics (their lightest fabric). Once I get it, I will see if I like it and I might be able to make a tarp from it that weighs around 2 oz total. Once again, great comments!

Anonymous

Awesome list!

Any weight reduction is going to come at some additional sacrifice, but you seem willing & able….
    The formula for weight reduction most often leads to the heaviest items first:

Shelter – You already have an excellent idea for reducing your shelter weight. Please let everyone know how the fabric works for you.

Pack – Jacob’s idea of using a stuff sack with straps is on track. I have used a Paddlers Stow Sack with straps made from silnylon, as an overnight pack. Perhaps you could use leftover pieces of your tarp material to make the straps, or just tie some BMW Spectra cord to each corner and around the top, at the weight you’ll be carrying the cord won’t bite your shoulders.

Sleeping Bag – The Arc Edge is your heaviest item. You do not list any clothing carried, clothing and sleeping gear are best considered as a system. What weather do you expect? Do you need a sleeping bag at all?

Summer here in the midwest is hot and humid. Most summer weekends here, I only bring an Adventure Medical Kits ThermoLite Single Bivvy for sleeping in my hammock, which is the coolest (temperature, at the very least) way to sleep. It makes a great pillow behind my head (it usually stays right there) and if I actually get a chill during the night it is amazingly warm. At 6.5 ounces the Thermolite will save you 4.5 ounces over the Arc Edge, almost 15% of your total. For many trips, the Thermolite is the best value.

Your list is among the lightest I have ever seen. Please keep the rest of us informed of any improvements and changes.

Jordan Calicott

@shortmancal

Here is my new gear list:

Jordan Calicott

@shortmancal

Gear for a summer weekend outing in the southeast:

Carried:
    1. Gossamer Gear G6 (3.7 oz)- until I find a lighter pack-maybe check on MLD
    2. AMK ThermoLite Single Bivy (6.5 oz)
    3. Gossamer Gear Thinlight Pad (1.9 oz)
    4. Gossamer Gear Polycryo Ground Cloth (1.3 oz)
    5. BMW Spintarp X-Lite (4.75 oz)- until I make a lighter tarp
    6. BMW Aircore Spectra 1 50′ (.2 oz)
    7. Dancing Light Gear Silnylon Stuff Sack for shelter(.25 oz)
    8. BMW Lazr Ti Stakes-4 (.9 oz)
    9. 2 1L Platypus Bottles (1.6 oz)
    10. Katadyn MP1 Tablets-6 (.08 oz)
    11. Matches in BPL Mini ZipLock Bag (.2 oz)
    12. GoLite Classic Socks (1 oz)
    13. DEET in BPL Mini Dropper (.2 oz)

Total Weight Carried: 22.58 oz = 1.4 lbs (minus food & water)

** I decided that since my outings are only for a weekend, I probably don’t need to cook food. I will just eat energy bars, gorp, etc. **

Any more suggestions on how to lose even more weight? I’am still waiting on a free sample from Cueben Fabrics. If I like it, I will probably make a tarp out of it. Also, I’am going to e-mail MLD & check on their new ultralight pack that they have been testing.

jacob thompson
    Spectator

@nihilist37

If you swapped to half a Mylar sheet for ground protection you could drop a little more (.3 oz)

Jordan Calicott

@shortmancal

Here is my new & improved gear list for a weekend summer outing in the southeast (Arkansas):

Carrying-

1. Homemade Backpack (1.5 oz)- I just received my samples from Cuben Fiber & I love their lightest fabric! I have not made this pack yet, but am planning to unless I get a stuff sack & sew shoulder straps to it, then the weight would be lighter!
    2. Jagbags Endura Silk Mummy Liner (5 oz)
    3. Cuben Fiber .40 oz/yd fabric ground cloth (.8 oz)- homemade
    4. Cuben Fiber .40 oz/yd fabric tarp (2 oz)- homemade
    5. BMW Aircore Spectra 1-50′ (.2 oz)
    6. Cuben Fiber .40 oz/yd fabric stuff sack for shelter (.1 oz)- homemade
    7. BMW Lazr Ti Stakes- 4 (.9 oz)
    8. 2 1L Platypus Bottles (1.6 oz)
    9. Katadyn MP1 Tablets- 6 (.08 oz)
    10. Matches in BPL Mini ZipLock Bag (.2 oz)
    11. Asics Nimbus low cut socks (1 oz)
    12. DEET in BPL Mini Dropper (.2 oz)

Total Weight Carried: 13.58 oz

** Since it is only a weekend outing, I only eat energy bars, gorp, etc. **

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

As far as I know,VBLs only work out in extremely cold conditions,well below freezing–you will wake up swimming in your sack in SE conditions outside of winter. For that matter, I’m doubtful about Ark. winters,too. A breathable liner (perhaps silk) would give you added warmth.

Jordan Calicott

@shortmancal

Thanks for the info. I found an ultralight silk mummy bag liner. I think it will be warm enough to sleep in. I have not purchased it yet, though. My updated list is above.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools