Topic

1.1 oz Nylon Bag Liner?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 1.1 oz Nylon Bag Liner?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Tom Keefe
    BPL Member

@keth0601

I was wondering if anyone has tried making a sleeping bag liner / sheet out of the 1.1oz ripstop nylon? I am looking to get some uncoated lightweight material to make a decent liner/sheet to extend the life of my sleeping bags/quilts and sleeping pads.

One thing I've heard about nylon is that it gets softer if you wash it a couple times. I am torn between trying to make this out of polyester or nylon. Silk is too expensive, I'm looking to make this for about $10 – $15 each. and keep the weight under 6oz.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Actually, silk isn't a bad choice. If you buy thin stuff from the right place, it is about the same price as nylon, and it is probably lighter in weight. I sewed a silk liner that came in around 2.5 ounces. Silk can represent a challenge to the sewist.

–B.G.–

Tom Keefe
    BPL Member

@keth0601

Where did you buy your silk? The cheapest I can find is about $15 / yard.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

http://www.thaisilks.com/

You can routinely purchase thin silk for around $5/yard, and sometimes cheaper.

You probably need to practice sewing with silk.

–B.G.–

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

MLD used to sell one out M50 (I think). You may pick one up off Gear Swap/ WTB or contact Ron to see if he has some.

Liners tend to get twisted if you toss n turn.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"Liners tend to get twisted if you toss n turn."

The trick is to use safety pins to pin the strong parts of the liner (like, the sewn seam) to the strong parts of the inside of the sleeping bag. That way, the liner stays with the sleeping bag, and it doesn't get twisted around your feet.

–B.G.–

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

I've used Thaisilks, too. I've purchased 5 momme silk (which is lighter than any nylon fabric) for $3 per yard from that site.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools