Hey All. Going to be in Boise on August 5th, and looking for a nice little backpacking retreat for myself and my wife. After reading various trip reports here and elsewhere, I was kinda thinking near redfish lake, but am open to suggestions.
Are there any recs on places to visit? We're probably looking for a loop or out and back to make transportation easier, and aren't opposed to setting a base camp and hiking around. We wouldn't mind scrambling up a mountain (especially something 10 or 11,000'), but neither of us are climbers, so nothing technical. We like waterfalls. Also, sounds like there are a lot of hot springs, but I can't find one with decent, recent reviews. It'd be fun, but the threat of red spider mites and locals bathing make me a little gun shy about it!
Also, is there any special gear recommended? I"ve been to the badlands and black hills a few times, and lots of stuff around MN, but have never bp'ed in a real mountain range.
I feel we're well prepped for weather; we've done shoulder season trips with similar expected temps.
Any flora/fauna to look out for? Brown bears, mosquitos, black flys, rattlesnakes, etc?

