Topic

JMT water sources

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Adam Cassis
    BPL Member

@acassis

Locale: SoCal

what is the best way to map out the water sources on the JMT?

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Just get a map for the area. The water sources are generally very plentiful though late this year they could be fewer. Even the PCT data guides stop listing water sources in the PCT since there are way too many to list.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

You just answered your question in your question.

Map.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

If it's a large named feature on a map (like the San Joaquin River or Garnet Lake), it will reliably have water.

Even lots of the smaller unnamed springs, ponds, creeklets, etc will have water most years, but as others have pointed out, more of these smaller features could run dry as we get later into this exceptionally dry year.

Generally, I don't worry much about being able to find water in the Sierra. Just consult your map throughout your hike. If you see you're coming up on a long, dry ascent over a pass that doesn't have any creeks intersecting it or easily accessible tarns along the way, then stop and tank up.

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Adam,

Take a look at Half Mile's maps for the PCT. California Section H of the PCT covers most of the JMT. Water Sources are marked on the maps with WAxxx

In case you have a GPS you can also download them as waypoints.

In case you have a smart phone (iPhone or Android) you could also download Guthook's JMT app.

In general I wouldn't worry too much about water along the JMT. There is plenty of water out there so that on most stretches I carry only 0.5 liters.

Have fun out there!

Manfred

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

I used nothing more than the Tom Harrison JMT map pack and had no problem finding water. I think there was one section where I had to carry more than a liter. I think it was Bear Ridge or Bear Mountain, but I could be making that up.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

The JMT has been done a few times by people using only a straw.

If it's late in the season, the Harrison will have about 3/4 of the water sources map that you will be able to get.
    Any earlier in the season and there is 3 times the water locations.
    You are hiking in the basins of the top of the U.S. right where the water first collects.

Dave T

@davet

This should be posted in Pre-Trip Planning or maybe another forum. This one is just for problems with the web site, etc.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools