Topic

Chilkoot Trail Advice – Footwear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Chilkoot Trail Advice – Footwear

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Sara
    BPL Member

@sara

Locale: Southwestern Ontario, Canada

Hello,

I'll be spending four nights hiking the Chilkoot Trail during the first week of July with my brother.
    My pack will be around 15lbs.
    I'm going to bring my Kathloola MicroSpikes for extra traction on snowy/icy sections.

Originally, I had planned to wear my Salomon Synapse Shoes (they are not waterproof but very comfortable for long hikes).

The trail conditions as of June 14th are:
    Dyea to Sheep Camp -> Good/ Excellent
    Sheep Camp – The Scales -> Extensive Snow Sections
    The Scales – Happy Camp -> Winter Conditions
    Happy Camp – Deep Lake -> Extensive Snow Sections
    Deep Lake – Bennet -> Early Season Conditions

I spoke with a fellow at an outfitter in Skagway and he thinks conditions will get much better by the time I'm on the trail.

For those with Chilkoot (or similar) experience, would you suggest I wear:
    a) My comfortable non-waterproof hiking shoes with a gortex socks
    b) Buying and breaking in waterproof hiking shoes to use with gaiters

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I did that hike a number of years ago in early August and had no snow conditions to deal with. It's an easy hike and the trail is in good shape, so even if you get into snow, you'll probably be fine with your more comfortable shoes. I certainly wouldn't bother with getting new boots to break in that will probably be overkill. Have fun! It's a great hike. Are you taking the train back from Bennett to Skagway? That narrow gauge track kept me a bit panicky, but the views were fabulous.

Sara
    BPL Member

@sara

Locale: Southwestern Ontario, Canada

Thanks for your comments Kathleen!
    I think I'll stick with my existing shoes. :)

We are taking the train northbound to Carcross and connecting with a bus to Whitehorse.
    I would have liked to return via Skagway but will be flying the next morning to Dawson City.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools