Topic

Adirondacks? Shenandoah? Vermont? — Recommendations Needed

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Adirondacks? Shenandoah? Vermont? — Recommendations Needed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Joseph K

@jkifer

So I'm currently planning on going to Shenandoah this weekend for 4 days. Was initially planning on backpacking in central area around Whiteoak Canyon (maybe Hazel/Nicholson), but am now leaning toward Big Run for solitude.

The more I research Shenandoah, the more I realize that it seems to be a pretty busy place. I've been researching Vermont, Adirondacks, and George Washington.

Where would you guys recommend for a 3-night trip in late June?

I'm trying to find solitude, great views, and swimming opportunities (river or lake). Trying to avoid bugs and driving over 5 hours from Philadelphia. Ideal length would be 30-40 miles.

Thanks!

george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Locale: Loco Libre Gear

Anywhere you go north will have bugs, especially if you are looking for water features. I would suggest if you want to go to the Adirondacks either the West Canada Lakes Wilderness, which will probably be lightly used, or the Five Ponds Wilderness, which will have a bit more traffic, but if you head out towards Wolf Pond will be a bit less traveled.

Dean L
    Spectator

@aldoleopold

Locale: Great Lakes

Otter Creek Wilderness in northern WV might work. River swimming, nice views, not sure about the bugs that time of year, I was there in early May years ago and had no problem. Crowds..hard to say.

Dean

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools