Topic

Board shorts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Board shorts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

I searched and found some old threads on using board shorts for hiking. What is the current thinking on using lightweight liner-less board shorts? thank you.

ayres christ

@ayres

Locale: hawaii & southern appalachia

what's not to like? i day hike in my board shorts. though i live in hawaii, so all outdoor activities are done in board shorts. materials are plentiful (many having a small % of spandex), so it is a good idea try them first before buying. also, cuts differ. some are a bit baggier. others, lean. i tend to like a tighter fit. and despite the trend toward longer shorts (and terribly ugly prints), all of mine stop just above the knees. i wear my t&c shorts regularly for hiking.

i haven't had an opportunity to do multi-day, but i could definitely imagine staying comfortable for several days of backpacking in mine.

also, i should mention that my birdwell and katin shorts are the FASTEST drying materials i've ever worn. they're straight, super-strength nylon. when i swim with those, they're typically dry within 5-10 minutes. though, they have a more traditional surfing cut to them, and many would not find them as comfortable as the current offerings from the big surfing companies.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Patagonia Wayfarer.

They're stretchy!

The Patagonia price tag is worth it for these.

Best to pair them with a boxer or compression short if you have chafing issues though…I couldn't get away with boardshorts sans liner on a backpacking trip.

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

I've got a couple pairs from Prana that I like for hiking. Nice and light and dry super fast.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

What Craig said; I wear boxer-briefs while hiking. I like how the Patagonia ones stay flat under a hipbelt.

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

$119.00 houdini board shorts … I'd rather hike naked

I do wear board shorts year round here including hiking, they are quite durable and quick dry after rain and deep stream crossings, the more stretch the better.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Who's got $119 shorts?

Wayfarers are $69 in the Patagonia shop. Got mine for $39 on sale.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I waited until I found my Stretch Wavefarers on sale somewhere online (maybe Moosejaw?) for around $50 – $60. Someone else mentioned it, but I think Patagonia has revamped the line and maybe added a new version of it's board shorts.

I wear wool underwear and like it better than running shorts with liners. Heavier yes, but . . . I just like the combination better.

Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

Thanks for all of the feedback. I've been eyeing the new Houdini shorts (I'd wait for the season clearance). It just seems strange to not have a liner but I'll try it out at the store and see how it feels.

Trace Richardson
    BPL Member

@tracedef

I do everything in board shorts, surf, jiu jitsu, muay thai, run, yoga, train, backpack, etc. Hurley are my favorite as there's no velcro in front on some of them. Get strechy over canvas as well … Finally .. I usually wear compression shorts (nike or similar) underneath to prevent chaffing during backpacking and running (easier than non chaffe topicals) and for yoga so my junk doesn't show … :) I can't imagine backpacking in anything but board shorts… you can swim in them, they're stretchy and they're the most comfy to wear of anything I've ever tried ….

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Prana flex are the best, built in stretch liner too.

kevin campbell
    BPL Member

@rockymtbiker

Locale: Michigan

My board shorts have velcro pocket closures, and while I love that it keeps things in the pocket, I hate opening those pockets to get stuff out. Really annoying! With that said, I spend 90% of my summer in them & I've hiked in them also. I have a lighter pair of hiking shorts I use that air dry a bit faster that I've also used. The pockets on them are standard, and they aren't perfect pockets either. The items kinda flop around to much while trekking across the trail.

So, if I had to chose, I'd go with the board shorts, as the stuff in the pockets stays put, they are pretty comfy in the hot weather, and preform in the rain too.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

I'm liking the look/utility of the new Patagonia Stretch Journeyman Board Shorts.

They've got a drawstring closure and button fly. They've got zippered pants-style pockets along with an extra utility pocket. They're made of a stretchy material, have a DWR coating and they weigh about 6 oz. Bonus, they come in mostly mellow, low key colors.

See them here

josh jordan
    Spectator

@jjchgo

like others have said, I live in my board shorts during the summer. work, backpacking, skateboarding, bjj. one the best parts about board shorts are they can be had for <$15 all day long on ebay.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Board shorts are great if you have a regular length inseam. For a short person they are basically baggy capris. No thanks.

Eli Zabielski
    BPL Member

@ezabielski

Locale: Boulder, CO

Moosejaw.com has Wayfarers on sale, and you get $10 off for doing a 5 minute survey on the front page.

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

I love my board shorts but if I'm not at my summer fighting weight, strict Paleo and no Dale's Pale Ale, I tend to muffin top quite a bit.

Zip off GI II pants for me in the backcountry.

Frank T

@random_walk

Locale: San Diego

I like the Stoic Thrive shorts, except for the waist adjustment buckles when backpacking since the pack belt grinds them into my hips. So I plan to retrofit them with velcro.

They're just long enough to cover my kneecaps and prevent sunburn, but don't catch or hang up when I'm walking.

backcountry.com frequently has these on sale but I got a few pairs from chainlove.com (one of those 12-minute deal sites) for $27 each, which is like 50% off.

james
    BPL Member

@jamesbhikes

Locale: London UK, Greenville USA

I found these board shorts from Land's End a couple of days ago which seem pretty perfect for hiking. They haven't arrived yet so not certain of the weight, but before I ordered I spoke to land's end and they said they weighed 5.3 ounces.

They look like regular hiking shorts which is exactly what I was looking for. One pair of shorts to do it all, Plus they come with a lightweight belt, which in my opinion is much better than the silly drawstring arrangements which are found on most board shorts. You can also monogram them with "BPL" if you feel like it. he he

They are also on sale at the moment for 29.40.

Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

The best shorts might not be shorts at all...

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Stretch Houdini Board shorts are on sale at Backcountrygear.com for $84 right now.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools