Topic

Fly in and backpack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Fly in and backpack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Robb Watts
    BPL Member

@rwatts

Locale: Western PA

Does anyone have any experience and/or recommendations on flying to a western (CA? CO?) destination and hiring/using a shuttle service to get to a wilderness area?

I would like to find somewhere that I could fly in and be shuttled to the mountains
    (and back!) for a 6 or 7 day backpacking trip. I'm assuming this would be cheaper than renting a car but maybe not.

I'm from the East coast and I've seen most of the woods within 8 hours of my house multiple times. Ready for something awe inspiring (preferably without things that can eat me).

Dean L
    Spectator

@aldoleopold

Locale: Great Lakes

You could fly into Durango Colorado, take the train into the San Juans and hike back on the CT to Durango.

Dean

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

From Durango, take the train to the stop for the Chicago Basin. Just tell conductor when you get on.
    Hike in, kick around, hike back to the tracks and flag the train.

And Durango is a pretty good place to hang.

From the Reno airport catch the bus south on 395 to Lone Pine, Bishop, or Mammoth Lakes.
    Whitney Shuttles will take you to any number of trailheads for the Sierras.

Or fly directly into Mammoth if money isn't an issue, take the bus up the hill and hike the PCT or JMT as an OutAndBack. Don't worry, it won't look the same coming back….

(Peter's Township here.)

Robb Watts
    BPL Member

@rwatts

Locale: Western PA

Thanks for the suggestions.

Flights to Mammoth are only a couple hundred more that to Durango, what's to see
    in that area of California? (Been to Colorado and Utah a few times – always mountain
    biking though, never backpacking)

Time to study the options and compare costs (or just spend another weeks vacation
    in Roaring Plains).

Upper St Clair

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Robb,
    If you can get a room at Red's Meadow you'll be ahead on Day One trail time.
    If not, Mammoth works and is cheaper and has much better food.

Take the bus to Red's Meadow and go north on the JMT. (It's easy to get lost in the maze of trails around Red's and the Devil's Post Pile. Ask for directions at the store.)

Aim for Garnet Lake and Thousand Island Lake.
    A National Geographic Trails Illustrated #809 will get you oriented.
    Google Earth will provide perspective.

They are Stunning, popular and a little busy. But if you head a half mile west of either one you will be by yourself. Cross country is easy. There is a lot to see. And if you like it, scout a bit, look at the maps, and you'll find a decade of travels in amazing country.

Or for a little more solitude look at the Minaret Creek/Shadow Creek/JMT loop.

You'll need a backcountry permit, but that can be covered later if you decide to go.

Greg

Joseph K

@jkifer

Grant Teton National Park is also very doable. Did a trip similar to what you're mentioning last year. Take a cab from the airport to teton village (20 minutes) and you can either ride the tram up or hike up to start on the teton crest. Get picked up 3-4 days later from Jenny Lake. Awesome trip, highly recommend it.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Alpine Lakes Wilderness, Mt. Rainier NP, Olympic NP and North Cascades are all outstanding destinations within shuttle distance from SeaTac.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools