Topic

Mineral King: Black Rock Pass & Sawtooth Pass

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Mineral King: Black Rock Pass & Sawtooth Pass

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Timber Gap
    GLOW!
    Black Rock Pass 11,600 ft.

I have more pictures but the SYSTEM is not letting me down load the picture size? I will research and post later.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Did you do the loop around big 5 and little 5 lakes?

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

I did Justin and then connected the Big Arroyo trail to the Lost Canyon trail up to Sawtooth Pass. That is truly some High Country!

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

Nice, Jay. I need to get down to that area soon. Looking forward to some more pictures.

Any issues with the altitude? Bugs?

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Hey Chris, I definitely had some issues with altitude on the first day. Going up Black Rock Pass I was stopping every 10-15 minutes to rest and I mean really "REST" going up and over the last mile. The mosquitoes were there but not completely overwhelming. I used DEET and a head net and just walked fast. I think the lack of snow this year has truly impacted the mosquitoes numbers. I look forward to the SUL trip.

Dave T

@davet

Nice trip Jay! When I hiked from Mineral King to Road's End, I recall that hike up Black Rock Pass as being a true slog. I was feeling a little funky, and that whole side of the pass was fully shrouded in fog. It felt like the switchbacks would never end. And then we got to the top, the mists disappeared, and the view east was huge. It's nice out there.

–B.R.–

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

MK:

Spring Lake

Five lakes

MLD Patrol Shelter w/ Yama Mountain Gear 1.25 Bug Shelter

Sawtooth Pass

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

Looks like a beautiful early season trip. Nice and green, little snow. Hard to beat.

Interested in the last photo… is that your marmot avoidance technique for trailhead parking? To keep them from chewing up hoses, etc?

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Yes the last picture was recommended by the ranger. The marmots chew through hoses and drink anti-freeze but will not chew through a blue tarp? Go figure! I was very happy my car was in good condition after a long trek.

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Locale: SoCal

Thanks for posting Jay. The Glow photo is beautiful, classic high Sierra. It's interesting to see how little snow there is so early in the season.

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Nice pics Jay. Looks like there is even less snow down south than up by Yosemite. Did you have to walk on any snow to get across the passes?

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Andrew, I did walk through a "few" snow patches and that snow was very thin. Mineral King is definitely HIGH country and it was kind of alarming because of the lack of snow at two 11,600+ passes in June. Climate Change— Andrew how was Yosemite?

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

great pics Jay! This really has my juices flowing to visit this area….too many east side entries over the last few years have made me neglect this area

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

Great photos Jay, as usual. You gotta have one of the best collections of images, seriously. glad i found this report, snow will likely not be an issue for me next week.

Sharon J.
    BPL Member

@squark

Locale: SF Bay area
    Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Lost Canyon
    Little Five Lakes

Thanks, Adan!

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Apparently if you go past glacier pass and spring lake there is a chute of some sort on the tail end of the big 5 lakes basin that you can climb over. Or so I've heard. I could be wrong.
    It would be a huge shortcut around lost canyon.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools