Jun 17, 2013 at 9:57 am #1304302
I am hoping to hear from someone who lives up near Cooke City to get a report on snow melt up there.
I am taking my oldest boy up there the third week of July and want to finalize my route planning during the next couple of weeks. I'm not completely opposed to just taking him down "the Beaten Path", if need be. He hasn't seen it yet and it really is quite beautiful. However, I'd also like to get him off trail a bit too and am trying to decide if I want to divert at Oly or Fizzle and go off-trail to the Skytop Basin and the Aero Lakes to get away from other hikers and to show him the Goats and such. I'm not worried about the terrain. He is fit and has been in the Mountains with me before. But, I don't want to deal with deep snow and the extra equipment. I'd rather hop a few boulders with him.
It's been a lot of years since I've been up that way. But, I remember a lot of variation in annual snow melt from my trips way back when. I don't think I've ever been up in the Aeros this early (mid-July) though. I think the earliest I've been was probably the first week of August or so.
So… anyways… is there anyone on here that lives up that way that can make a informed prediction that will steer towards or away from the Aero Lakes option around that time?Jun 18, 2013 at 8:27 pm #1997904
Seriously? Or is everyone already out on the trails while I have to wait for some time off to get away. Now I'm really bummed out.Jun 18, 2013 at 8:57 pm #1997912
David ChenaultBPL Member
@davecLocale: Crown of the Continent
I haven't been in to the GYE this year. I can tell you that it's been very warm recently, and from first-hand experience that snowmelt in Glacier, the Bob, and the Tobacco Roots is very much ahead of normal.Jun 18, 2013 at 10:20 pm #1997937
I was hoping for some optimistic feedback. I heard that they got the pass opened up on schedule and that is always a good sign.
I was even considering taking him all the way through the Aeros, down Cardiac Hill, and over to Grasshopper Glacier (is it still there?), then around through the West Rosebud drainage, if I can get the conditions I want. Do it as a loop and end up back at East Rosebud TH? We have 12 glorious days. Plenty of time, I think, if I can just get lucky with the snow and the crossings and dodge a few thunderstorms.
Anyone else with a lot of time on the ground in the AB area with any thoughts or suggestions?
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.