Topic

Reconcile smellables and soap?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont Reconcile smellables and soap?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Gigem Aggies

@cbcurran

I'm in final planning for our July trek. We have a routing that has several showers and I've read a lot about people packing Dr bronners or similar. I'm also planning on no backup clothes and want to wash them whenever possible. However I'm trying to reconcile this with the warnings about smellables and no deoderant.

I'd appreciate some advice on whether to bring some soap for ziplock clothes washing and/or showering. Thanks!

Bill Rose

@brnpa

Locale: Philly suburbs

Gigem – Camp suds are provided by Philmont and can be used to wash clothes. As far as washing your body, showers are great but as you probably know, Philmont has rules regarding smelly soaps and using any smellable hours before you go to sleep. Others who have been on multiple treks can provide more details.

Daniel Lee
    BPL Member

@scoutbuff

Locale: Colorado

Recommend leaving any extras in base camp. They'll provide you plenty of camp suds to wash dishes, clothes and general hygiene. If you use what they provide, you'll have no issues.

They will also provide ziploc bags for your sump strainer. Get a couple extra and you'll have your trail "washing machine"…

BTW, by day 3 no one will care what you smell like…

ed dzierzak
    BPL Member

@dzierzak

Locale: SE

+1 on the Campsuds at Philmont. It's actually good for everything, though I wouldn't brush my teeth with it. Bring your own toothpaste and use it before 5pm. Same thing with any washing up in camp. A gallon ziplock bag with about a quart of water, campsuds (only use a drop or two – yes, drop, not squirt), and a bandana are good for a quick washdown. Our last trek had brought back more than half of the bottle issued. Please don't bring your own soaps or toilet paper. Your Ranger will advise you to leave them behind. Usually, your Ranger will tell you to do such things like wash-up, brushing teeth, etc before 5pm. It's not a magic time, it merely lets some of the "smell" dissipate before you hit your tents.

The same ziplock bag can act as your laundry. I do bring 2 tshirts and 2 shorts. One can be washed while wearing the other.

No sense smelling like bear bait…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools