Topic

Shenandoah Recommendations – 3 nights, waterfalls, swimming holes, secluded

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Shenandoah Recommendations – 3 nights, waterfalls, swimming holes, secluded

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Joseph K

@jkifer

Planning on heading down to Shenandoah this weekend for the first time. I'm looking for some recommendations for trip routes. I'd like to spend 3 nights backcountry and hike anywhere from 6-10 miles/day. North or central parts of the park would be preferable.

I was looking at trying to loop together whiteoak canyon loop and old rag, but am worried about crowds. My ideal trip would be secluded with some nice waterfalls and swimming holes along the way. I'll be spending sat, sun, and mon nights on the trail.

Recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Also, for those who've been recently, how were the mosquitoes/ticks?

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

The Big run area is likely going to be one of more isolated areas if you are looking to avoid crowds. It is just west of Loft Mnt campground. Should be great blueberries on the ridge just sw of the valley. Yum

Joseph K

@jkifer

That sounds great. Wild blueberries would be a welcome addition! Any thoughts on Nicholson and Hazel Wilderness? South part of the park is probably a bit far for me, but worthwhile if it's substantially more secluded. I'm coming from Philly, so thought somewhere north/central would be ideal.

Joseph K

@jkifer

Alternative ideas are welcome also. I'm a little concerned about all the things I'm reading about tics in SNP.

I'd be willing to go north as well to the Adirondacks or Vermont if anyone has suggestions. Trying to limit the driving time from Philly to about 5 hrs max.

Joseph K

@jkifer

wound up hiking hannah run-nicholson hollow-indian run-old rag fire road-meadows horse trail-white oak canyon down-white oak canyon back up to AT-down nicholson hollow-corbin cutoff-AT-hannah run trailhead

i'll try to put together a full report, but feel free to reach out with any questions

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools