Topic

Ethanol in Canada – Found it!!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ethanol in Canada – Found it!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

Since deciding to try an alcohol stove I have been looking for an ethanol product available in Canada without much luck. I have tried various rubbing alcohols, methyl hydrates etc without much satisfaction.

Last week I noticed this bottle at a small local drugstore and gave it a try. It gives the burn times that others report here with similar equipment: TD fissure with Evernew deep 0.7L pot. I can bring a full pot to boil on about .7 of an ounce. It burns clean and calm and leaves not soot.

The brand is Rexall and should be fairly easy to find. It is 95% ethanol.

Rexall Rubbing Alcohol

For those interested.

Derrick

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

That's cool— any idea what the other 5% is?

Rubbing alcohol in the US is isopropyl, which is sooty and not as hot. The best deal so far is "green" denatured alcohol from the hardware store/paint supply.

Rob E
    Spectator

@eatsleepfish

Locale: Canada

Ethanol can also is also available at Canadian Tire/Home hardware, sold as BioFlame Ethanol. It is manufactured (or distributed?) by Reochem, http://www.recochem.com. Looking at the MSDS shows that it is 95% Ethanol, and 5% 2-Propanol.

link to canadian tire bioflame

link to home hardware bioflame

Edit.. apparently link doesn't work? Anyway, search for bioflame on canadiantire.ca and you'll find it.

James Cahill
    BPL Member

@dmatb

Locale: Norf Carl

not to derail the thread (awesome find by the way) but I've always been curious as to the difference between the regular denatured alcohol and the "green" stuff, from an alcohol stove POV. I stared at the two for 10 minutes in ace hardware and got nowhere.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Good stuff guys. I'll keep this in mind.

Paul Ashton

@pda123

Locale: Eastern Mass

@ Cahill
    Bio denatured alcohol is essentially no different from and other denatured alcohols. Max 95% ethanol (ethyl alcohol) and 5% mainly methanol (methyl alcohol, methyl hydrate) to make it poisonous and unsuitable for drinking. SLX is different in being nearly 50% methanol. It is called "bio" or "green" because it is made from cereals, usually corn. This makes it a "renewable resource". None "bio" ethanol is synthesised as a by product of the petroleum industry (esp. Methanol which is synthesised from natural gas (methane)). IMO the main outcome of "bio" fuels has been to make poor Mexicans even more undernourished than they were before, but that is a subject inappropriate on a backpacking forum.

Peter Evans

@nlslacker

I'm in town (St. John's), just went looking for "heet" today and failed.
    Which drugstore did you buy this at? (save me some gas)

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

Hi Peter,

You won't find heet in St. John's, I don't think. If you do let me know where.

I bought the ethanol in Goose Bay, Labrador, at an independent pharmacy. Any drugstore which carries Rexall products might have it. Maybe Healey's at the foot of Leslie Street. There aren't many independents remaining so you may not have any luck. I am happy to pick some up when in Goose Bay next month.

PM me

Derrick

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools