Topic

Packs & Back Sweat

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Packs & Back Sweat

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Richard O

@rhiker

Locale: Northern California

Can anyone comment on how these 3 packs are regarding back sweat?

OHM 2.0
    GG Gorilla
    Kalais

Thanks!

Richard

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

On the OHM, with the waterproof back, there is no place for sweat to go, except run down your back.
    Depending on how much you sweat, this can lead to a "crack-rash" issue.

A highly wicking shirt with a long tail will help. It will become the "sweat transport system", wicking sweat to the sides as well as down. Don't tuck in the tail of the shirt and most of the sweat will follow it and evaporate.

I added a mesh panel to the back of my OHM to address this issue. A secondary benefit was being able to move my foam pad to the outside of the pack and gain a little more interior volume.

Details can be found HERE

YMMV

Richard O

@rhiker

Thanks Greg, for the quick reply.

"I added a mesh panel to the back of my OHM to address this issue. A secondary benefit was being able to move my foam pad to the outside of the pack and gain a little more interior volume."

Does this mean you took your foam sleeping pad, put some type of mesh around it, and somehow attached it to the back of the bag???

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

As noted and shown in the link, it was a two piece mesh pocket, sewn onto the back of the back, into which I could insert and remove the foam backpad/framesheet provided by ULA, and intended for the inside of the pack.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Sgt. Rock discusses that in his video review of the Kalais.

Christopher Kuzak

@kc

I'll be the first to admit this may not be pertinent, but you could cut down on the sweat by using an Exos. Breathability is one of the good things about the pack.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Your back will get sweaty in hot weather with any pack where the fabric hugs your back.

Some packs will end up totally soaked with sweat in hot weather, and leave white salt marks when dry out.

I havent found it to be a real issue. I imagine my clothing wicks it away so it can evaporate.

Richard O

@rhiker

I actually have an Exos at home that I am going to return to REI. Just did not like the fit.

Richard O

@rhiker

Thanks again Greg. I did not notice the link on your first comments

Rodney
    Spectator

@rodney-m

Locale: Northeast Oregon

I agree back sweat happens to me on a hot day no matter what pack I have used.

I have not used the GG Gorilla but I have the new Mariposa model which uses the same suspension system and materials etc. The closed cell foam sit pad I store there lies against my back. It is impermeable to water. I have had times where it has led to crack chaffing. But I stay on top of that with Body Glide or some similar application. However the pad keeps sweat from wetting out the pack material.

I also agree with the others that using a long tail highly wicking shirt helps significantly. However, many short sleeve t shirts do not have a long tail.

In the end, it is just one of those things backpackers need to get used to. As Mike McClelland says, "Don't complain. It does no good."

Happy hiking even if sweaty.
    Rodney

Richard O

@rhiker

"In the end, it is just one of those things backpackers need to get used to. As Mike McClelland says, "Don't complain. It does no good."

No Sweat, Rodney!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Long tail on shirt – water drips down onto my shorts, then my shorts get wet

If my rear end didn't stick out a ways, it would be better

Maybe have the wicking panel be pulled out away from your rear, suspended from the bottom of pack. Then water could just drip off onto the ground.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools