Topic

Bob Marshall Wilderness mid July

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Bob Marshall Wilderness mid July

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Gerke
    Spectator

@mtnrunner

Locale: Utah

My 16 year old son and I are planning on doing a trip to the Bob Marshall Wilderness next month. We are looking at July 12-19 but those dates could migrate a little. So far it is my son and I and possibly one other person. Would like to find another one or two people to go along. Probably be doing 15-20 mile days (hopefully closer to 20 if my son doesn't do too much fishing) for a 70-100 mile total. I would really like to meet some people I could continue doing trips with in the future. I could also do some shorter (2-3 day) trips later this summer/fall within a 5-6 hour drive from Salt Lake City.

Jeff Gerke
    Spectator

@mtnrunner

Here is a little update in case anyone is interested. We decide on July 17th – 24th. The route will start at the Benchmark trailhead. We will take the CDT along the Chinese Wall over Larch Hill Pass down to the White River then over Pagoda Mountain to the South Fork of the Flathead. From there we travel up the South Fork of the Flathead then up the White River and over White River pass and back to the Benchmark trailhead. Distance is approximately 86 miles. I decided to allow ourselves 6 days so my son can do a little fishing, nothing overly strenuous. We are driving from SLC to Dillon Mt on July 16th and staying in Dillon that night. On July 17th we will drive from Dillon to the trailhead. Should start our hike mid day sometime. Will be ending on the 23rd and driving home on the 24th. So far it is just my son and I. I'm finding it is pretty tough to find people to backpack with.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Nice route. That's going to be great. Don't plan on camping in the drainage on the west side of Pagoda before you get to the south fork – there's virtually no spots for a tent. Probably camp at the NF White River near the Pagoda turn off, and then at the south fork the next night. Should be good fishing that way too.

Finding trip partners can be tough. Good luck.

Jeff Gerke
    Spectator

@mtnrunner

Since we didn't have anyone else going with us and some other family stuff came up we decided to go early. Just got back from our trip yesterday. Funny cause we ended up camping in the area you suggested then I read your post today. Unfortunately we cut out the Pagoda Mountain/S Fk Flathead section and just went down the White River instead. I think our route ended up being just shy of 70 miles and it took us 3 days. My son is getting pretty strong, he is only 16. Shorter than I wanted but I'll be back for more someday.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools