Topic

La Sportiva Ultra Raptor for JMT hike?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) La Sportiva Ultra Raptor for JMT hike?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

Has anyone done a JMT hike with the La Sportiva Ultra Raptor? I'm tempted to do my 6th JMT (in one month) using these. Also, I've put Superfeet Orange insoles in them. What is the opinion about these two items combined?

Thanks!

http://www.sportiva.com/products/footwear/mountain-running/ultra-raptor

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

you've done 6 JMT's in one month ?
    5 days each time ?
    that's pretty great !

foot wear is a very individual thing.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Good morning,

Sorry that this doesn't answer your question but how well do the Orange Superfeet fit in Raptors? The reason why I'm asking is because I have a narrow foot and I found that the green Superfeet seemed to push the shoe out. I wasn't as concerned with my Keens as they were very rugged but I'm concerned that they would rip through my La Sportiva Wildcats.

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

I'm responding to both posts here.

Good laugh I got about 6 JMTs in one month. I do the JMT each year, consecutively. In one month I'll be doing my 6th (annual) JMT. Of course, I know you knew that. Still, the English language if not used like nitroglycerin can explode in your face .

My only issue about the Superfeet is whether or not I use the "E" or "F" size. In either case, I had to cut the ends down. You take your original insole and mark it's shape on the Superfoot insole.

I have both the E and F insole so I'm going to try both and see which I like better.

It's kind of an individual thing based upon where your arch is on the foot, more than the length of the foot.

I had to order the shoe a full size larger than other shoes I have worn though. Super comfortable.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Thanks. I somehow missed that there was an E or F choice with these insoles so I'll need to revisit this option.

"It's kind of an individual thing based upon where your arch is on the foot, more than the length of the foot."

+1 With my last pair, I had to go a size longer than normal so they would align properly with the arch of my foot.

Good luck.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

I size up to align the arch also. I thought I was weird.

Apparently they need to look at this if in 5 min three people spoke up about the same problem.

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

I should have included the PCT as also being in scope for evaluating the ruggedness of these shoes? I feel the sole will hold up fine for a JMT hike, I'm worried about the upper fabric covering, is it rugged enough? It is more rugged than the LaSportiva Wildcats which I tried out (in the store).

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Anybody worn these on the PCT or JMT? Thanks!

Michael Schwartz
    BPL Member

@greenwalk

Locale: PA & Ireland

@ Roleigh. Did you end up using the Ultra Raptor for your thru hike? Are you still using this model? Would appreciate any other feedback too. Looking for a runner with a bit more support than my Brooks Cascadia, though I still love the fit of that shoe. –Mike

Vince Contreras
    BPL Member

@pillowthread

Locale: like, in my head???

What?!?! A trail runner? You should get a pair of Meindl Perfekts, the original German model. They won't let you down. Yes, I've worn Cascadia 5s and 6s, and I'd recommend more shoe.

Remember, I've never hiked the JMT, I'm not sure what that really means, and I've never been to California. That means I know just what you should choose.

If you don't go exactly with the Perfekts, you're a fool! These are the perfect (see what I did there!) boots for the JMT…

Otherwise, I can recommend the LaSportiva Vertical K's…but you need to be OK with unsupportive uppers…

Otherswise, the Perfekts fit the bill. Anything else and you're a fool…

Edited because I hate you all and want you to die…

Michael K
    BPL Member

@chinookhead

I'd be very interested in people's experience with using the ultra raptors on a trail like the JMT where you likely encounter quite a bit of wet stuff like stream crossings and/or snow. Specifically, I want to know if it dries quickly. I have the crosslites and I prefer my gore-tex boots in wet conditions because the La sportiva crosslites don't dry that fast and the water resistant uppers seem to keep in the moisture.

Michael Schwartz
    BPL Member

@greenwalk

@ Vince. "Those Miendl boots look puuurrrfect," said Catwoman. Would you consider them lightweight or UL, at 3.6 lbs per pair? I do love the idea of moldable cork footbeds. The fool is often the wise one.

Kent McLemore

@kmac777

Just off the JMT – The Ultra Raptors suited me well. I lost several cleats along the way, but the soles show not a hint of separation and the upper mesh, though covered with 220 miles of Sierra granite dust, show no sign of tears or weakenings. The few occasions my shoes got wet, they dried quickly. Very pleased.

Michael Schwartz
    BPL Member

@greenwalk

@Kent. Did you have to size up a full size?

Vince Contreras
    BPL Member

@pillowthread

Locale: like, in my head???

@ Schwartz: Ha! Lightweight the Perfekts are not…another case of posting while drunk…forgive my rambunctiousness.

My Perfekts are pretty nice boots though…

Good to hear the Raptors made it through.

Allen C
    BPL Member

@acurrano

i used the raptors on a full JMT plus a couple section hikes and some training hikes and they held up very well. I would use them again, highly recommend. Ultra raptors are the same sole with a similar but more breathable upper. I have a pair of these too but haven't used them much so far.

Compared to the Cascadia, the Raptors and Ultra Raptors are noticeably more stable, definitely better for hiking in the sierras, but not as good for running. I used the cascadia's on a couple section hikes this year and while they are lighter and worked well overall, I did turn my ankle a couple times. I think next time I'd use the Ultra Raptors. The downside is they tend to give me heel blisters while the cascadias don't give me any blisters at all.

Kent McLemore

@kmac777

Full size up.

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

Not sure about consistency through the whole line of Salomon but for me they were bit bigger than my Salomon X Ultras.
    Don't think I would take a half size smaller but they definitely fit me a bit bigger as well as a bit wider. I would take similar size as what you're used to with hiking/running shoes..

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

Another question regarding the Ultra Raptors. They are described as neutral shoes, but when I wear them I feel my feet are balanced outwards ever so slightly. I haven't tried them yet outside, and am trying to figure out if they are slightly softer on the outside or if they otherwise give a bit of supination control/support (my gait is well balanced and I need neutral shoes or suffer knee pain).

Lisa B
    Spectator

@lisab

I agee. I haven't worn them on a hike yet, but trying on the ultra raptors at REI they seemed the perfect shoe for Mt Whitney/JMT….except for feeling soft to the outside(for me the outside of the ankle). I don't want ankle support as in a boot, but some undergirding in that area. I am concerned I will supinate too much or lose my ankle to the outside. Anyone else feel this/ can confirm this problem? Also was wondering how they compare to the wildcat 3.0.

Bean
    BPL Member

@stupendous-2

Locale: California

I agee. I haven't worn them on a hike yet, but trying on the ultra raptors at REI they seemed the perfect shoe for Mt Whitney/JMT….except for feeling soft to the outside(for me the outside of the ankle). I don't want ankle support as in a boot, but some undergirding in that area. I am concerned I will supinate too much or lose my ankle to the outside. Anyone else feel this/ can confirm this problem? Also was wondering how they compare to the wildcat 3.0.

We're reviving a pretty old thread, but who cares, I love the Ultra Raptor (sans GTX).

I used the original Crosslite and Wildcat prior to the Ultra Raptor (all with green Superfeet E [9.5-11]), and had an old pair of each I'd switch into periodically on day hikes to try and save the treads on my Raptors. My experience was that I supinated more in those two styles than I do in the Raptor. Might be in my head but even though the Raptor is less padded of a shoe, the upper part seems much more rigid, which helps prevent me from shifting my heal weight off the sole and into the outer wall. As well, I force myself to hike a bit pigeon toed to take some strain off an easily inflamed posterior tibial tendon, which in doing this I think I'm more likely to supinate, but I do less so in the Raptor than most shoes I've owned. It still happens, but usually only when tired and getting sloppy about what I'm doing with my feet.

Great features of the Ultra Raptor, it doesn't hold much water and dries very fast. The traction is amazing, I watch people skid and slide on surfaces that I am stuck to like I got bit by a radioactive spider. They breathe really well and keep your feet cool (non-GTX version of course).

Downside, the super sticky tread can wear down fast on granite and the breathability will easily let in fine dirt (get ready for dirty feet). The men's color options are disturbingly ugly. Size up at least… I normally wear an 11, but wear a 46 eu in the Raptor and the Superfeet E fits just about perfect.

Lisa B
    Spectator

@lisab

Thanks for your insight! Imagine how ugly they are if you have to wear them as a woman!!! 43.5 –just outside of women's sizing.
    I did find some wildcat 3.0s on backpacker.com for $80 in a "pretty" blue though. Tempting!
    Good to know about breathability and quickdry too. That's what I was looking for. And stick to the rocks! I don't care if they wear out fast, as long as they stick!!! I'm still a little concerned with supination and rolling my ankle to the outside…I'll see how it goes!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools