Topic

water conundrum

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) water conundrum

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 26 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Tipi said: "But why try to explain it when a single pic will do—"

I wish you'd stuck with just explaining it…

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Tipi….. dude….. wow!

David Ure

@familyguy

No sh*t. I mean….

Corbin Camp

@heycorb

Locale: Southeast

Yeah… I think I pasted the wrong link. Oops.

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

The moderators can delete that pic if they want, I was just responding to Kate's post; and we all know what turd piles look like. I actually held back from posting more from my "photo turd archive" but over the years I have seen stupendous examples of Turds Left Behind and Loads In Bad Places. Point is, never underestimate the stupidity of humans and never assume a water source is wonderfully pristine.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"The moderators can delete that pic if they want.."

Man I hope not! That $%!+ had me in tears laughing!

I think Chaff needs a subcategory for surface bomb pics.

Edit: "Photo turd archive" LMAO!

Tom D.
    BPL Member

@dafiremedic

Locale: Southern California

I have a SteriPen, a Sawyer in-line, and I always carry a few individually wrapped tablets as a back up. The Sawyer (IMO) is by far the best combination of convenience, sustainability, cost effectiveness, and reliablility, and the weight difference is negligable. So what did I take on the JMT last year????

SteriPen

Why? The water is the Sierras is arguably the most refreshing in the world, and the SteriPen is the only one of the options mentioned (other than not treating) that does not affect the taste of the water. It may seem silly to some, but to us it was one of the simple pleasures of the trip. I wouldn't have thought that the Sawyer would affect the taste, but it does. For the local mountains and such, I use the Sawyer.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Sorry but I can't get rid of this image of you standing over random steamers in the woods and taking pictures! Funny funny stuff right there! Seriously made my day.

Tom D.
    BPL Member

@dafiremedic

Locale: Southern California

Hopefully, he doesn't find random steamers too often.

I have a picture (and video, believe it or not) of someones waste-laden tissue left at the bank of Cathedral lake. I ended up packing it to Tuolomne for the inconsiderate squatter. So yes, water needs to be treated.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

First I filter, then add aquamira, boil and treat with Uv :-)

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

@ Stephen M

Classic! The belt and suspenders approach.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Nico,

I get my buddy to carry all that for me also.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Just razzin' on you Tipi. But I agree, your poop is well taken, um I mean your point.

"never underestimate the stupidity of humans and never assume a water source is wonderfully pristine." Absolutely.

One thing I see a lot in the N. Ga mountains are streams that run underground and then re-appear downhill. Many novice hikers see the water coming out of the ground and think it's a spring and then further think a spring means it's clean/pure, when in fact it might just be a stream that went underground for a bit but has a dead possum half in the water uphill…

Josh Brock

@needsabath

Locale: Outside

CDC is a government agencies and government agencies tend to: 1 play things on the safe side and 2 are usually the last to acknowledge change. But recent testing has proved that 99% of harmful bacteria and protozoa are killed before water has reached boiling……

I looked it up a while ago and will not post any links. If you dont believe me thats fine that doesnt make me wrong…I'm sure if Dave wants he could explain it and provide numerous links to this fact but i dont care enough. lol

Also, I am sure the chlorine thing could be proven safe as well as the well water can be proven harmful. but I chose not to do the research just to prove someone wrong that I dont care about and wont change their mind anyway.

Yes chorine is poison- stop swimming in pools and dont drink the water in restaurants or from any other source that isnt a puddle in the ground and you will survive the Chlorining poisoning of 2013.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

"…but I chose not to do the research just to prove someone wrong that I dont care about and wont change their mind anyway."

Point taken. I had those links, and the pic, already stored on my computer though. You and I may not care but there might be others who do.

Jim Sweeney
    BPL Member

@swimjay

Locale: Northern California

Maybe this has been mentioned earlier, but I like the Sawyer because, of all the treatment methods I've tried, it tastes the best. As a highly efficient filter, it can remove subtle organic decay products which, while not toxic, can give water a slightly funky quality.

mik matra
    BPL Member

@mikmik

Locale: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

"Iodine requires about 30 minutes of time to kill everything in your bottle."

this might be the case for say at 20degrees celcius but certainly not for say zero degrees celcius. the colder it is the longer is needed for bacteria and viruses to be killed.

Viewing 17 posts - 26 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools