Topic

Weekend Backpack– Exploring The San Gabriels

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Weekend Backpack– Exploring The San Gabriels

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    John Taylorson
    Spectator

@heyjt

Locale: SoCal

Last weekend my wife and I loaded our packs and took off for a few days into the foothills of Los Angeles. Our plan was to complete 25 miles, but not rush. Instead, take time to explore–to go off trail and see sights we may have missed on past trips in the San Gabriel Mountains.

Early Morning along the West Fork

Our Route

Day 1: Chantry Flats to DeVore Camp via Spruce Grove (8-miles)
    Day 2: DeVore to Idlehour Camp via West Fork, Mt. Wilson, Idlehour Camp (12-miles)
    Day 3: Idlehour Camp to Eaton Canyon via Henninger Flats (5-miles)

Enjoy!

Full trip report with photos

Angus A.
    BPL Member

@mangus7175

Locale: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com

Glad to see the water levels are still ok considering how dry it has been. Really fun route, need to do that sometime seeing as I only live a couple of cities away from Santa Anita Canyon.

Thanks for sharing :)

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Nice! I've been thinking of doing a similar hike in that area! More encouragement to get out there!

John Taylorson
    Spectator

@heyjt

The water levels were better than I expected. The West Fork usually has water year-round so hopefully it will continue to flow through the summer.

BTW, nice site you have!

John Taylorson
    Spectator

@heyjt

This is a nice time of year to do the hike too. The flies and mosquitoes were a bit irritating in certain places but it wasn't too bad. Hardly anyone on the trails–the camps were nearly empty.

Angus A.
    BPL Member

@mangus7175

Locale: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com

"The water levels were better than I expected. The West Fork usually has water year-round so hopefully it will continue to flow through the summer.

BTW, nice site you have!"

Thanks!

I might have to replicate your route soon, I already have some other UL backpackers I normally go with who are also interested in this route…it's a perfect local Friday to Sunday trip :)

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Really nice. With all the fires about a month west of the general area, I would have never thought the San Gabriels would have looked so lush.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools