Topic

Foot gear with best stone protection?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Foot gear with best stone protection?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I'm looking for shoes or mids that provide good protection from stone bruising. I'm finding that rocky trails are making me sore. In not too worried about weight, but I would prefer non-waterproof options. Any ideas?

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

I use to wear Merrell Moab Ventilators (non-GTX), they have great protection and vent well for that type of shoe.
    I now use LaSportiva Wildcats and Merrell trail Gloves but I don't think either shoe will give you rock protection like the Ventilators.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

I have Moab's in waterproof and non-waterproof versions. Oddly, the forefoot protection is different, with the non-waterproof having more flex/less protection. Of course it could just be the year/version they were made. Manufacturer's LOVE to ride on a successful model name and make changes that aren't always improvements, a la Patagonia Houdini and pick-your-Jam-pack-version.

Thanks for the tip, Tad, but I'm looking for something meaner. I have some Keen mids that are step in the right direction, if you don't mind the pun :)

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

If Keens are in the right direction, I have had good experience with several pairs of Voyaguers.

janos mathiesen
    BPL Member

@janosm

Locale: phinney ridge

I have recently bought a pair of Hoka Stinson Evo shoes for running and have ended up using them for hiking (up to the enchantments last weekend…). As ugly as they are and, albeit, lacking in a trail "sensitivity" they are INCREDIBLE as to protecting the body from wear and tear. Rocky terrain — no problem, long steep descents — no problem, etc… They are light and comfortable and supremely comfortable. They definitely prevent foot bruising. My two cents…

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Locale: Stamford, CT

I just purchased a pair to try and "go as light as possible, but not have sore feet/heels."

After trying on some of the more crazy minimalist trail shoes like the Merrell Trail Gloves, these felt like pillows so I rolled the dice and we'll how they work out with their more substantial heel cushioning and rock plate underneath. They weigh 7.7oz per shoe.

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

I second the Hokas if foot protection is your concern. They are incredibly light and cushioned. They have let me run again on pavement and I have hiked in them as we'll. They are now my go to shoes for foot travel. Evos for running and Mafates for hiking though the Evos are more than adequate for most trails. Those who love minimalist shoes won't like these, but having thousands of miles on my feet and legs these have given me a new lease on long distance foot travel. Not cheap but worth every penny.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

First of all, thanks to everyone for the excellent input.

I went to REI today and spent a while in the shoe section, flexing soles, asking questions and trying several models on. I found the Patagonia Drifer A/C to be an excellent blend of UL qualities with a very stiff sole: they are 17oz, well ventilated (no waterproofing), low top, low volume, and have a very aggressive tread. Time will tell, but this is the most protective lightweight shoe I have found.

Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

My screes have great protection- maybe too much! I like the Pendulums better because they seem to have enough prote toon, while still allowing me to really feel the trail. In the long run, I'm finding that's actually more comfortable and safer. YMMV…

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

I got a chance to put some easy miles on these new shoes today. I think my feet felt better after the hike! Zero stone bruising, excellent ventilation, no hot spots and a new one for me: with the volume of the shoes matching my feet, I had no toe bang. On steep downhills, the instep gripped my feet and they didn't go sliding forward as much as with other shoes.

This is a huge thing for my hiking future and I'm relieved if not *delighted*.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools