Topic

Ultralight Knives and Other Sharp Things

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Ultralight Knives and Other Sharp Things

Viewing 12 posts - 51 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    johannes Eichstaedt
    BPL Member

@nonbeing

Jeremy, that conception is brilliant. Does it work well?

I was starring at that little firesteel firestriker and somewhere inside I was feeling that it should really serve more than one purpose. Now it does – now it also makes my nails look pretty (and round so they don't shred the UL merino).

Very much appreciated.

johannes

Doris deLespinasse

@ddeles

One of the most important emergency uses for a knife is hardly mentioned here: shaving off dry timber if you have an emergency in cold weather. With a sharp enough knife, even a tiny one, and a little time, you can shave down to dry stuff on a wet stick. Pretty darned important if you hike/snowshoe in the Northwest in winter and don't care for hypothermia . . .

So – any suggestions for the lightest knife that would do this job? (I'm lucky – my friends tend to carry this stuff!)

Doris

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I've taken to carrying one or more of the following depending on the nature of my trip.

A Derma-safe Folding utility razor, a Frosts Mora Craftsman and a Swiss Army Knife Classic.

Derma-safe Folding utility razor, Frosts Mora Craftsman, Swiss Army Knife Classic

Paul Wozniak

@paulw

Locale: Midwest

Doris,

Sam mentions a couple of nice knives. I own and use both the Mora and the Swiss Army Classic under different circumstances. Noting that you only want this to make wood shavings in "emergency" situations I would suggest the Swiss Army Classic.

At one ounce the Classic can whittle down to dry wood. It will be a bit of a chore because blade is small, lacks heft does not take or keep a fine edge very well. But it will do in a pinch. It will also cut your toenails, pull a tick, strike a match and file a nail. Just keep it as sharp as you can.

The Mora may be the finest blade available for under $20. (In fact, I think I bought mine from Sam). I would put it at somewhere around 5 oz, not particularly small or light. Mine is used on longer or wetter outings when I can expect to need to split branches to get to the the dry stuff. I need to feed a BushBuddy. It readily takes and holds a good edge. Great for frequent use, overkill for emergency use.

I don't like razor blades when put to wood. They snap easily when twisted and for anything more strenuous than cutting paper, foil or tape I think they can be a little hazardous. For some fraction of an ounces you're better off with the more versatile Classic, imho.

Hope this helps. I have loved knives ever since I was 7 and won one at a local fair. Parents made me exchange it. If I could justify any reason for carrying one or paying for one I would own a Busse Battle Mistress:

http://homepage.mac.com/zombiekiller/badmojo/bm.html

But then I'd have to disappear into the Canadian interior before missus skinned me with it.

Paul

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

The best (in my opinion ) all-around Mora knife is this one:

I used to use the "craftsman" model until The instructor at a class was selling this style and I grabbed it up -much better for my uses. It dosent have that unnecessary finger guard that adds weight and bulk. Its also just a tad smaller and thinner. 3.5 ounces w/shealth

Though it possible I wouldnt want to use a small stainless steel folder to carve wood. Lets not forget that in a real "survival" situation you will likely loose all the fine dexterity and motor skills you had when at home using it.

Paul Wozniak

@paulw

Locale: Midwest

Brian, Brian, Brian,

You sir are an enabler. Your posting sent me off to this site:

http://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html

to find your knife. Also saw something called a Shoemaker's Knife. 1.75 oz. Hmmm.

Paul

Brian UL

@maynard76

If you get one of the Shoemakers let me know what you think of it.
    I have been curious about that one myself.

Matthew Robinson
    Spectator

@mcjhrobinson

Locale: Waaay West

i think moras are the way to go. ive read lots of these posts saying how you usually never need a knife. im interested to know what your plan is when you really DO need a knife? also with these tiny blades you cant field sharpen your blade, moras are cut convexed for easier re-sharpening (have fun sharpening a serrated blade). i can think of plenty of times i used my knife: all the things you razor owners do (food, bandages, etc), cut firewood (kindling maker), if im out a stake i make one, my girlfriend also likes to have one with her for personal safety, etc. also i take less of other things to make up for that extra 2ozs.

I wonder what this thread would be like if it were "If you only had 3 pieces of gear to survive with for a summer what would they be…?"

Brian M – I got a shoemaker. Id rather go with a standard mora. It doesnt have enough blade for me and its awkward in my gorilla hands.

Brian UL

@maynard76

When on a well traveled trail and in a NP I only carry a Derma-safe blade or scissors. I carried a pair of small folding scissors from the sewing box when I did the JMT. I never needed any thing more than those scissors and I could carry them on the plane.
    That said, when Im on a day hike Im not carrying a shelter and little to no insulation. In that case I carry my Mora knife as part of my "survival gear" because with it I can build a shelter and make fire even with the loss of fine motor skills- such as when Im cold and/or dehydrated.
    My guess is that most people stay on well traveled trails and in NPs so dont feel the need to carry much of anything.
    Add to that the fact that a lot of people never learned traditional bush skills and so cant see how a larger fixed blade could possibly help them.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

The Gerber LST at 0.6 oz. is “sorta heavy”?? I own two and they are great little pocket knives.

But my fav backpacking knife is a Gerber US1 at 1 oz. (Get it? US1 -> 1 oz.)

2.6″ blade, 3.5″ closed, 6.1″ opened, rubberized panels on handle, 420HC steel

This is the smallest knife I want to use B/C is still large enough to easily hold and work with when actually doing camp chores.

Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

i carry a Leatherman Squirt in the desert. I need a stout pliers to pull agave thorns out of my shoes and occasionally my thighs.  I have yet to use the screwdriver!  So, does anyone have a nice, small, but fairly strong tweezer/pliers so i could leave this at home?   Thanks

Bob K
    BPL Member

@seventy2002

…a nice, small, but fairly strong tweezer/pliers

I carry a 4″ hemostat, 15 grams.

Viewing 12 posts - 51 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools