Topic

Oklahoma Weekend Hike- Robbers Cave

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Oklahoma Weekend Hike- Robbers Cave

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Schneringer
    BPL Member

@slammer

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands

June 8-9, 2013-Robbers Cave Wilburton, OK

Oklahoma is known for its flat lands however we do have a few "mountain ranges" worth visiting.
    RObbers cave is an Historic State Park with a cave rumored to be the hide out of Belle Starr and other notorious outlaws.It also happens to be a beautiful weekend getaway with multiple trails of varying dificulty.
    When several are linked together you get a 14 mile loop. Oklahoma has has had large amounts of rain and the river running through the park was high. with multiple water crossings with one being Lake Wayne Wallace spillway which has the highest hazard of the crossings.

This is a great Weekend getaway for families as there is 3 lakes and great fishing.
    The trails are generally well maintained and well marked.
    We use this trail as a "shake down" trip for long trips. You can put together a 28 mile weekend with an overnighter in the middle.

I highly recommend this to families and/or weekenders. Oklahoma may not have notable mountain peaks or large mountain ranges. But low rolling hills with lots of water and wild flowers is a reminder that nature is just waiting for you to discover it.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

I went to college in Oklahoma, and I have fond memories of Robber's Cave. It's where I learned to climb and where I got bit with the camping/hiking bug. It's a great place, tucked away but beautiful.

Pictures?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools