Topic

Modified Starlyte + Caldera Cone + Evernew 500 ml mug/pot + Everclear 190 = soot

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Modified Starlyte + Caldera Cone + Evernew 500 ml mug/pot + Everclear 190 = soot

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Locale: SF Bay Area

Hi Everyone,

I know that there are many people who have had good luck with with the new starlyte stoves designed to work with the Caldera Cone. I found when I used grain alcohol rather than denatured alcohol the bottom of my evernw 500ml pot was covered in soot. The burn appeared to be quite aggressive with lots of orange flame.

Use of the original Trail Designs 12-10 also resulted in quite a bit of orange flame, however, no soot was produced on the bottom of the pot.

There are those who have said that adding a small quantity of water to the everclear can result in a cleaner burn. By chance, has anyone managed to get clean burns this way on the modified startlyte?

Thanks,

Rhz

robert v
    BPL Member

@mtnbob123

Locale: Bristol Bay Alaska

Check your Everclear to make sure it is 190 proof. The Everclear in NC is now only 151 proof, but the bottle looks the same. FYI I bought the modified Starlyte but then took out the thin aluminum piece that restricts the flame, after I used it a few times. I love the unmodified version even if it is slightly less fuel efficient. It is an awesome stove.

Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Locale: SF Bay Area

Hi Robert,

Yes, it's the strong stuff 190 proof. I had a friend bootleg it in to CA from the mid-west.

Thanks,

rhz

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Be sure not to over fill the burner. Try 1/2 ounce fuel and see how that burns.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I've been looking closely at the Starlyte stove for my small CC Sidewwinder stove.

But being an ESBIT fanboy with great success using my Sidewinder and an improved Gram Cracker tab holder I'm now wondering if the Starlyte, in any form, is really a good idea.

THE BIG QUESTION REMAINS:
    Can I go 7 to 8 days with less fuel weight for a Starlyte than ESBIT with my stove?
    I'm beginning to seriously doubt it as ESBIT burns a bit hotter than even the best alcohol fuel.

Tom D.
    BPL Member

@dafiremedic

Locale: Southern California

"THE BIG QUESTION REMAINS:
    Can I go 7 to 8 days with less fuel weight for a Starlyte than ESBIT with my stove?
    I'm beginning to seriously doubt it as ESBIT burns a bit hotter than even the best alcohol fuel."

I am also an Esbit fan and it will almost always be lighter than alcohol, but problem remains that while Esbit is making a comeback, its still not as easily available as alcohol. This is especially true if you are trying to purchase restock along the trail, so you need to make sure beforehand that its available. Theres also the sticky soot with Esbit that makes alcohol more convenient. So there are definitely times to use alcohol, and for that I have a Starlyte. But that being said, I use Esbit when I can.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Yes but esbit plays havoc with my nose. I can still smell it a long time after handling it. Blowing it out to save on fuel causes the smelliest of smoke to rise up and attack my nose. I just can't get used to the smell. You can turn the starlyte burner upside down and put the esbit on it and burn it in that mode. The burner can always be on hand if you want to use alcohol.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools