Topic

JMT reservation and walk in question….

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning JMT reservation and walk in question….

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Ok, i admit that I am a terribly over educated person and I can't seem to figure out this simple detail:

My permits are to start on Monday July 29. Do we pick up our permits on Sunday morning? Can we pick them up at any time during the day on Sunday? Or do we get them on Monday??

Ok…1.5 details…

The friend who is giving us a ride to and from the trail asked if he could join us for a bit, possibly hike half dome and to TM with us. Ok, then we'd need to get a single walk up permit…do we get that MONDAY am, or Sunday?? I can't seem to figure out whether these things seem to happen the day OF the hike, or the day before……

Seems simple, I know…..

Tyler Fisher

@monopoly1207

Locale: norcal

You can pick up your reserved permit any time Sunday or Monday while the office is open. Walk up permits are available the day before, in your case Sunday, after 11 am. So any time between then and Monday when the wilderness center closes. If you show up on Monday morning and wait in line until 0800 be prepared to listen to the ranger's spiel on backcountry ettiquette and all of the questions/ stories. One time I saw this bear and and and what should I have done? It is really frustrating. Also if happy isles th is full get a permit for glacier point and you can meet up in LYV. Or he can hike from happy isles to glacier point to begin his hike ; ) ; ) (doesn't actually go to glacier point) and you should get permits to hike up half dome with your wilderness permits.

If you pick up your permits the day before you can stay in the backpacker's camp. I think it's behind North Pines, one of the pines campgrounds anyways. And your friend can also stay the night after his permit in the TM backpacker's cg.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Sweet…thanks!

So I guess we should plan on being at Yosemite Saturday night, not Sunday night, eh?

Tyler Fisher

@monopoly1207

Locale: norcal

Unless you have a place to stay Saturday night, I would show up Sunday around 11 and get the reserved permit(s) and the walk up. Most of the people waiting in line since the crack of dawn are going to be trying to get a permit for Sunday, not Monday.

While someone is picking up the permits the other(s) can snag a spot in th BP's camp, check out is at noon.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools