Topic

Need help finding a trip!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Need help finding a trip!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Remington Roth
    BPL Member

@remjroth

Locale: Atlantic Coast

My hiking buddy and I are looking for a ten day trip with some new scenery. We're very accustomed to the Appalachian Trail, so we're hoping to venture westward. Our window for the trip is the end of June and the beginning of July (late notice because we couldn't get the time to go until recently.)

We have no experience at elevation. I don't know how much distance we would cover in ten days. A twenty-mile-per-day pace is comfortable for us on the AT (if that helps at all for reference.)

We wanted to do the Wonderland Trail in Washington, but it seems that isn't going to work out.

Any help is greatly appreciated! We're very open to ideas. Colorado? Montana?

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

Chinese wall in the Bob MT
    Or
    Big loop in the Winds in Wyoming

Neither has quota or complicated logistics. Snow might still be an issue at higher elevations.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Wow Rem,

That's a really general question and a huge area. Do you have anything on you special list – peak, lakes water, desert mesas, rivers, fish, forest, wildlife.

In 10 day you might do a really interesting combination rental canoe down the Green River canyons with side hikes, then backpack out through Canyonlands national park (canoe gets picked up down river). Guaranteed that is nothing like the AT. LOL Might be a bit to warm then.

On the other hand that time frame is perfect for the Sierra, Olympia NP. Montana.

I'm guessing if you get *more* specific you will get more suggestion from folks here.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I asked the same question of this group last year…and everyone pretty unanimously suggested the Wind River Range. It was easy to plan, the hiking was breathtaking, we were able to take our time acclimating….

My avatar pic is my very pooped pup our way down from a pass in the southern Winds. I can't recommend it enough as a good introduction to westward hiking.

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Rem,

this is a low snow year. So this year you could do the JMT end of June. The PCT thru hikers have already gone through this year. At a 20 mile per day pace I would suggest to start at Tuolumne Meadows (will also be easier to get walk-in permits). Of course you could start at Yosemite Valley if you don't want to miss the climb past Vernal Fall, Nevada Fall and Half Dome. That would require 22 mile days for ten days to make it all the way to Whitney Portal.

Best Regards,

Manfred

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools