Topic

Ideal SUL cook kit for Foster’s Pot?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion Ideal SUL cook kit for Foster’s Pot?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Piney
    BPL Member

@drewjh-2

Guys, I've put together what I think is the ideal SUL cook kit for Foster's pots:

SUL esbit setup 1

SUL esbit setup 2

SUL esbit setup 3

I thought about ordering a GVP or making a Caldera Clone, but I wanted to be able to roll the vulnerable Foster's pot up in the windscreen for protection. So I made a windscreen inspired by the Flat Cat Snow Leopard. With the pot rolled inside the windscreen, the whole package is pretty sturdy.

The performance so far has been excellent. It boiled 2 full cups of cold tap water plus one dissolved ice cube in 7:10 @ 50 degrees, and 6:10 and 5:40 @ 75 degrees (air temperature.) All three boils left appx. 4 grams of the 14 gram tab unburnt. I combined the (2) unburnt remainders and very nearly boiled two more cups. That's six cups of water for tea or meals on 1 ounce of esbit!

The pot, lid, burner, ground shield, ziplock and rubber band together weigh 2.4 ounces. For those that don't use ti stakes with their shelter, a pot stand could be substituted .

Next I will try the Brian Green esbit tray design, I'm curious how that will affect the boil times and efficiency.

For the full rundown:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=76137&skip_to_post=667211#667211

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

IMO, the foster pot is too fragile to get covered with sticky gunky mess from esbit.

Piney
    BPL Member

@drewjh-2

The Zelph flat bottom pot cleans up very easily. Wipe it off after it has cooled a bit and there never is a sticky gunky mess.

mik matra
    BPL Member

@mikmik

Locale: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

Hi Drew,

What is the windshield made from?

Thank you

McDowell Crook
    BPL Member

@mcdcrook

Locale: Southeast

This is great! Would love to make one of these.

Piney
    BPL Member

@drewjh-2

Thanks guys. The windscreen is made from aluminum flashing from Home Depot.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools