Topic

Pukaskwa: 160kms Around the Outside via Foot & Raft

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Pukaskwa: 160kms Around the Outside via Foot & Raft

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

deleted

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Jeff,

We left Oiseau Bay around 9am and then we got into Hattie Cove around 7pm. So that's 10 hours and we were stopped for at least an hour for lunch b/c we got a bit mixed up on the beach and couldn't find the actual trail again. So I'd say we spent 9 hours covering that distance for a moving average of 3.4km/hr. We put in a good effort on the trail and a decently long day. It wasn't a gruelling pace, but I don't think this section would be enjoyable at much of a faster speed. Travelling at 2/3rds of this pace (2.3km/hr moving average) would probably be an enjoyable speed for a decently in shape hiker, and then you can decide how many hours per day you want to walk. This is actually pretty close to what Pukaskwa recommends (they say 14.5 hrs to Oiseau Bay, which is 2.1km/hr). In person the rangers seem to be pretty discouraging of optimistic goals, but the Pukaskwa website actually recommends 5 hrs to Willow River, which is how long Rog took, so my suggestion is to take the hour estimates at the link below at pretty close to face value. Don't assume to be substantially faster unless you're packing light and willing to work for it. Longer hours (rather than a faster speed) are a more realistic way to cover more ground.
    http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/on/pukaskwa/visit/visit3/04.aspx

The "ruggedness" of the trails is a very relative thing. Pukaskwa's trails aren't treacherous in the sense that you aren't likely to slip and go over a cliff (well maybe if it's raining, but it's less sketchy than half dome). They are, however, slower walking that more manicured areas. You need to pay attention to cairns when you're on the bedrock sections and there's a lot of small up and downs. On really nice, low gradient manicured trail (such as many National Parks in the USA) one can walk about 50% faster than they do in Pukaskwa.

With all that said, people, weather and experiences vary widely so don't take my word for any of this. If you talked to this guy you'd get the opposite message:
    http://www.hikebiketravel.com/27802/day-hell-coastal-trail-pukaskwa-national-park/

We were going to stop at the White River, but we got talking about burgers, beers and a hotel so we pushed on to Hattie Cove. We did cover a lot of ground in this trip in a relatively short period of time, mostly because my wife (and work) would only give me the week off. I would have loved more time – especially on the river portion. There were so many awesome areas that would be great to stop and fish, suntan or run rapids. Then again, we got very lucky with the bugs. In peak bug season those activities would lose their appeal.

bayden cline
    Spectator

@pyro_

Thanks for the info. I am considering doing the trail this summer and having the info you provided is great

Gordon Gray
    BPL Member

@gordong

Locale: Front Range, CO

Dude, that looks like a crazy trip. Some serious dedication right there.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Dan/Rob,
    This trip is epic, good job guys! I really should get one of those packrafts…

I read this after you posted earlier this year and saw you did the trail in 2 days – essentially 30 km per day. I just finished the trail in 3 days and can confirm that Dan's itinerary would be a push for non-super humans ;) I did the following and while it was a good workout, it allowed for a decent pace without pushing too hard. If you are carrying heavy or aren't used to 20km days, add another day and enjoy the scenery!

I'll have a video up in the next few days but here were my days:
    North Swallow/Fishermans Cove (22km)
    Fishermans Cove/Willow River (22 km)
    Willow River/Hattie Cove (16 km)

Also, I'm ashamed to say I took the water taxi :(

@ Eric Batty: Pretty sure I met your friends Rob and Jody on the trail. They did a yoyo (out and back) in 4 days/3 nights – we shared a campfire on the last night, I tried to keep pace with them in the morning on the last day but they were too quick – even their little dog was a bullet on the trail!

rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

deleted

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Rog,
    Haha, that little dog was a trooper. I'm surprised I didn't see you. I felt like I met everyone on the trail – probably the most social hiking I have ever done!

Steve

rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

deleted

Stephen Bradshaw
    BPL Member

@bpl7730

Locale: GTA

Hey Dan,

That’s one impressive trip and report! Wowee!!

We actually just got a couple of pack rafts last year and have been dabbling a
    bit and looking to push our limits (probably not near as much as your trip though).

Thanks for adding the link to your report!

Stephen Bradshaw

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools