Topic

Possible purchase – Garmin Oregon

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Possible purchase – Garmin Oregon

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I have a Garmin Colorado 300 GPS and it works fine. But I would like to get the greatly increased internal memory and 32 GB card capacity for Garmin's topo maps of the Oregon 650 and download my maps into it.

First the greater internal memory permits me to dowload more new trail maps.

Second the larger memory card capacity (32 GB, up from 4 GB of my Colorado) lets me download maps outside the US, like Canada or parts of Europe.

Anyone here have an Oregon GPS? Any likes? Dislikes? Problems?

FINALLY: What websites have good trail maps that are compatable with a Garmin Oregon GPS?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington
    NoCO-Jim
    BPL Member

@noco-jim

Locale: NoCO
    Jani Kikuts
    Spectator

@enginerd

Locale: Southern California

I just saw that Garmin came out with the Oregon 600 series the other day, now I want one too but cant justify it just yet since my Oregon 450t is still in great shape. I have had the 450t since 2008 and it has been great. I have hiked, backpacked, had it strapped to the side of a kayak many many times. I love it…for the most part anyways. Nit-picky cons? It's a bit bulky, a tad slow compared to modern smartphones, and I wish the screen was larger (spoiled by 4.65 inch Galaxy Nexus phone), but the relatively new Montana is just way too big for backpacking. If I was to get the new 600 series I would skip the camera version, in reality I think the camera on the unit is not that great and I would bring my digital point n shoot anyways, so why bother with he extra cost. As far as the Garmin software, BaseCamp has come a long way for planning trips, really like the new version especially if you spring for the 1:24K scale maps.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Don't overlook the Garmin BirdsEye Satellite Imagery. It's an "all you can eat" one year subscription that allows you to download as much data as you like and you can keep it after the subscription expires.

For $30 it's a great deal. I've found the imagery to be very useful (and decent quality in the areas I've used it in). You will need the 32Gb card though, if you want to carry large areas of imagery. They also have a subscription for topo imagery as well which I assume works the same way, however, I haven't tried that product.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/maps/on-the-trail-maps/birdseye/c452-c456-c457-p1.html

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Jerry and Mike, thanks for the links!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools