Topic

Running Tights

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Running Tights

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Nate Boyer
    BPL Member

@nateb123

What do you guys use for tights in the shoulder seasons?
    I have a pair of thin, smart wool long underwear that I use, but they weigh as much as my rain jacket…

Any suggestions?

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I like my golite running tights.
    They make softshell tights that are mostly windproof. But they are expensive.

josh jordan
    Spectator

@jjchgo

i use mountain hardware windstopper tights.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Patagonia Speedwork tights.

John Hillyer
    BPL Member

@trnamelucky

Under Armour Cold Gear Evo 187g in large

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Very light, great at wicking, feel great against my skin.

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

I just use bike tights (always ones without the chamois), Performance or Nashbar house brands usually. I have a variety of weights.

Raquel Rascal
    Spectator

@flutingaround

Check out Sporthill- high quality product line that rates their clothing by temperature

http://www.sporthill.com/

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

I just use Patagonia Cap 2, Cap 3, or Cap 4 depending on conditions.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Tights aren't particularly light. If you are going to wear them alone, the weight would be comparable to nylon pants.

Running tights may have features like pockets that bring the weight up. They are typically thicker and warmer than light long johns and have more abrasion resistance, being designed to use as outerwear. A pair of large New balance tights are 8.6oz vs silk weight polyester long johns at 5.4oz. And that's not an apples and apples comparison— I would equate tights with something like Cap 4 for warmth. Power Stretch bottoms are more like 10oz and much warmer, if used with a shell or for sleep.

I would vote for tights for weight/warmth/versatility if worn as an outer layer. I would go with polyester long johns if layering with pants or shells.

Mike R

@redpoint

Locale: British Columbia

I bought some Salomon tights last fall for trail running – couldn't be happier. Fantastic fit and finish, great materials, comfortable. Only downside is they were pretty expensive. Same goes for their shorts – great product. Arc'teryx also makes some great running tights. Their Incendo looks to be very good and I have their Incendo short which I love. Shockingly, Arc'teryx's Incendo line is pretty cheap by comparison to the Salomon products!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools