Topic

Picnic blanket ideas (groundsheet)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Picnic blanket ideas (groundsheet)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Bean
    BPL Member

@stupendous-2

Locale: California

Fortunately for me, my girlfriend likes to go backpacking. However, she doesn't want to ditch all the comforts I carried when I was trying to get her hooked on the activity. One of these comforts is my Exped Multimat(12.4 oz) that she likes to picnic on; layout on to stargaze; and we use as a groundsheet. I really don't mind taking it on shorter trips, but we are doing a couple weeks in the Sierra Mountains next month, and I'm hoping to cut some weight and keep her somewhat happy. As a compromise, I was just about to pull the trigger on 4.5 x 7.5(6.94 oz) Tyvek groundsheet, but thought maybe some here might have a better idea.

So, I'm looking for something under 10oz that might have a little more substance to it than Tyvek & can be used as a groundsheet. Also, she's likely not to respond well to me unfolding a square of Polycryo or anything overly plastic in texture. Any ideas?

D S
    BPL Member

@smoke

How about the Outdoor Products Blue 5×7 PU Tarp from Walmart? I don't know the exact weight, but I heard about 8 oz and $10.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

1/8 inch thick closed cell foam pad can be quite light and works perfect for those purposes. It can do double duty as a pad supplement and triple duty as sit mat around a fire. And its much softer than tyvek.

Bean
    BPL Member

@stupendous-2

Locale: California

1/8 inch thick closed cell foam pad can be quite light and works perfect for those purposes.

Would you happen to know where I could get a like 4×6 or bigger piece, as that might work?

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Lots of places will sell you a 2×6 piece. You could tape or velcro those 2 pieces together. Seems like someone sells a double wide sheet but I can't recall.

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

Oware has a 40"x76"x3/16" foam pad that's 10.5 ounces.
    http://shop.bivysack.com/product.sc?productId=60&categoryId=3

Not sure how tear resistant it would be.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools