Topic

Soap for washing DWR and technical wear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Soap for washing DWR and technical wear

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Michael Gillenwater
    BPL Member

@mwgillenwater

Locale: Seattle area

We all know that we are not supposed to wash our DWR treated and other technical clothing in regular laundry detergent. Companies like GearAid, Granger's and Niwax sell us special soaps in a almost silly variety of formulations to wash and care for our outdoor clothing.

So, I've been wondering a few things that maybe some of our chemist-wise members might have some thoughts on…

1) Is there really a difference between these different formulations for different types of fabrics? There are soaps for base wash, tech wash, wool/merino wash, down wash, etc. From an efficacy standpoint, I have a funny feeling they are all basically the same. Does one really need a different soap for each of these fabrics/materials?

2) There has to be a less expensive way to do this. I know a key issue is caring for your DWR treated clothing and down, etc. And you want a detergent that won't harm treatments, strip desirable oils, etc. I have seen the damage that regular laundry detergent can do to a DWR treatment. So I don't challenge the need for something different. But wouldn't it be nice to find a cheaper product we could buy in bulk that does essentially the same thing. Anyone know of some product not intended for outdoor gear that serves the same function and costs a fraction?

Ideas and thoughts welcome.

Mike Stromsoe

@phstudio

Locale: So. Cal.

I and many others on this forum have been happy with Penguin Sport-Wash. It's basically half the cost of some of the other technical soap you mentioned by volume.

Michael Gillenwater
    BPL Member

@mwgillenwater

ah, many thanks. i see there are lots of other brands out there as well, now that I've actually looked. Win Detergent, Atsko Sport Wash, Sport Suds Detergent, etc. Much cheaper.

Anyone have thoughts on the forumulations question?

Bogs and Bergs

@islandized

Locale: Newfoundland

I recently tried to figure this out myself, having no way to buy a technical wash other than online with a two-week shipping (remote rural area).

What I gathered from my research was that as long as it was a non-detergent pure soap, i.e. no softeners, brighteners or fragrances, it should work and do no damage. There are non-allergenic eco soaps on the market like this, but Ivory Snow also ticked all the boxes. It's marketed as a soap for baby clothes. I could only find it in powdered form, so I dissolved it in water first.

After that the most important thing was making sure the washing machine was completely free of residue, so I ran it empty with hot water and vinegar with an extra rinse cycle.

So far I've only done some goretex gear, but it worked just fine as far as I can tell.

But I also would be interested to know if the technical washes have some other ingredient that is somehow beneficial.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Atko Sports Wash
    Big bottle, small cap full at a time.

Cheers

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I use Charlie's soap. It is one of these biodegradable phosphate, brightener, scent free soaps. Its designed to not leave any residue. We started using with reusable diapers that had issues with detergent build up making them non absorbent. I am not sure if it is safe to use on DWR gear but I do anyways when I wash them once or twice a year. It seems to check the same boxes as the usual sport washes.

For down I still shell out for the expensive stuff as I don't want to take any risks.

Michael Gillenwater
    BPL Member

@mwgillenwater

Greg,

Thanks. It would be great to know, though, why we need to shell out the bucks even for down. It would be great to see these companies making down wash products justify why you really need to use their products. I am not arguing one way or the other. I'd just like to see some evidence.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

I believe Atsko Sport Wash also sells under the Penguin brand – same stuff, and very good stuff.

Mike Stromsoe

@phstudio

Locale: So. Cal.

Richard, that was my impression, too. I can get the Atsko stuff at Walmart or the Penguin stuff at REI. REI is less than a mile from my house, so I get the Penguin stuff.

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

"I and many others on this forum have been happy with Penguin Sport-Wash. It's basically half the cost of some of the other technical soap you mentioned by volume."

"Atko Sports Wash
    Big bottle, small cap full at a time."

"I believe Atsko Sport Wash also sells under the Penguin brand – same stuff, and very good stuff."

+1

Slo Hiker
    BPL Member

@slohiker

Locale: NC Foothills

I'm certainly no guru when it comes to anything chemical in nature, but it's my understanding that the key components to shy away from with normal detergents are the surfactant additives.

These chemicals essentially make water "wetter" so it penetrates the clothing fibers better – thereby making clothes cleaner. Apparently that's not a desirable effect on many natural and performance based fibers.

Most, but not all, commercial detergents have surfactants in them … just check the label.

Fitz Travels

@fitztravels

All i know is that ive had my marmot minimalist for two years and have washed it at least five times with all my other clothes with powered tide and it still beads up and has never wetted out to date

JJ Willcoxon
    Spectator

@h2oboy

Locale: Midwest

Sport Suds on everything except my merino clothing. I use Nikwax Wool Wash for those.

Everything I read and hear basically boils down to making sure that you avoid detergents on anything that is Gortex and/or has a DWR.

Sport Suds won me over because it completely wipes out my "trail smell" and leaves my clothes smelling fresh, without any scent. I also use it on all of Polartec clothing. It does a great job of getting the stench out, without having to go to warm/hot water to get the job done.

My DWR coatings get refreshed every 2-3 seasons, just because I want to stay ahead of them wetting out. I have never noticed any substantial degradation during that period of time. I do give them each a quick tumble in the dryer at the beginning of each season too though.

I use the Wool Wash, because most of my Merino stuff is 100'ish weight and it seems to take a lot longer for them to thin out and start developing pinholes than it did when I just used the non-detergent soaps on them. It is a little expensive. But, if my wool gear lasts longer than it otherwise would, I feel like it pays for itself. Good Merino clothing is so expensive these days! I buy the big bottles and look for deals year-round to save a few bucks on it.

Paul W
    BPL Member

@obee1987

You could see with the local supermarket and purchase soap that is pure. It generally comes in flakes or a bar.  Soap that is pure isn’t detergent…

Atsko wash is great, it smells quite quite a bit different if you smell it. Here is a more affordable substitute http://nosweatlife.com/collections/no-sweat-detergent/products/the-secret-agent-br-sweet-freesia-br-4x32oz-pack-sports-wash-detergent-for-washing-workout-clothes I’ve discovered but not attempted to use yet.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools