Topic

waffling about rain jackets

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) waffling about rain jackets

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

So I am waffling about my rain jackets and would appreciate a little help with the sorting of ideas in my head. I am thinking of just returning the REI Kimtah and using my Golite Tumalo for below 60F.

I ended up buying an REI eVent Kimtah on sale a few months back or so but never really have worn it anywhere. The pockets have mesh so they can be breath but no pit zips and it is kinda heavy at 16.8oz but durable. That and the fabric is a bit stiff. I guess I kinda bought it because of the lifetime warranty that was going to go with it but that is no longer the case.

I tend to like my Golite Pertex Shield Tumalo with its pit zips and breathable pockets. The fabric used is stretchy and seems to be resistant to scratches It also has a great feel to it and weighs 11.3oz. I could also use it as a VBL layer if it gets cold where I could not with the eVent.

Another consideration is that I really don't come across much rain. It does from time to time but usually just does it for part of a day in waves. I am plenty fine with standing under a tree until I get bored and then just moving to the next tree wearing my wind shirt and trash bag rain skirt. I could bring my Chrome Dome umbrella but it does get really windy here sometimes. I thought about a poncho tarp but have found those not to be a really good case of either. Another thought I had was to bring a big trash bag. I could poke a hole in the top for my head to get me through the few hour squalls, still have room for some locomotion with my arms on the inside since I don't use poles to keep walking if I need to, it could be used as a pack liner with the head side down or folded over and I could use it to cowboy camp with for my feet/legs.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

A DriDucks jacket is a good compromise for a light (and cheap) just-in-case rain shell. I have settled on heavy and light options for rain gear, leaning on the heavy option for my city/daily rain gear and the lighter one for hiking and compact travel.

I take a poncho for day hike CYA rain gear and shelter. It's easy to sit out a heavy shower sitting under the trees with the poncho over all.

As far as REI and the lifetime warranty/guaranty, if they sold it to you with that stipulation, they have to live up to it. Satisfaction is a different issue that failure of materials and workmanship. With the change in policy, I wonder of REI is going to go by purchase date?

From the current REI web page:

100% Satisfaction Guaranteed

We stand behind everything we sell. If you are not satisfied with your REI purchase, you can return it for a replacement or refund. Items must be returned within a year of purchase, except items purchased from REI-OUTLET which must be returned within 30 days of purchase.

REI’s guarantee doesn’t cover ordinary wear and tear or damage caused by improper use or accidents.

If your item has a manufacturing defect in its materials or workmanship, you can return it at any time. See our limited warranty.

Limited Warranty

If your item has a manufacturing defect in its materials or workmanship, you can return it at any time. Many of our items also have a separate warranty from the manufacturer, and you can also return any of those items that don’t meet the manufacturer's warranty.

This limited warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may have other rights which vary from state to state.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Someone asked REI and they said they would go over a year if it's a manufacturing defect.

Bean
    BPL Member

@stupendous-2

Locale: California

+1 on DriDucks.

I wouldn't take DriDucks if rain was the expected daily weather, but as a precautionary piece of gear, they are great. Not very durable, but very cheap and light.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Dale, what kind of poncho do you use?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

A GoLite for day hike, or a Gatewood Cape for ground camping.

I have a custom hoodless silnylon poncho that forms the undercover for my Hennessy Hammock. I also have one of the Hennessy Cat Cape poncho/hammock rainfly's. I've used it for a tarp but haven't pressed it into service as rain gear yet.

I think ponchos and capes are the ultimate weight savers when used as shelters and rain gear together. When people are bragging on 7oz rain jackets that barely breathe, I can have head to shin rain protection, pack cover and emergency shelter for the same weight and $60 retail. I think poncho requires a bivy to be considered an effective shelter. The Gatewood Cape is a single wall floorless tent at 11oz and $135— about the cost of a middle of the road rain shell.

Ponchos aren't pretty and that is the problem. With all the fuss about 9oz Cuben packs and Spartan sleeping pads, ponchos and capes should be a top choice in any SUL gear list.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

I (and I know eric chan will back me up) swear by the OR Helium 2. 6oz. Fairly spartan w/ just a chest pocket and hood bungee.

Ive had mine… well let me just say that I live in the rainy area and it my coat of choice for backpacking.

You can put it the back pocket of our jeans when you stuff it into its little stuff-pocket.

Drop over 1/2 a pound over your Kitmah and still have a legit raincoat.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

The Helium looks nice but I think I would only save a 3 ounces over my Golite Tumalo which is also Pertex Shield, and which I am going to keep for the cooler temps. It has a little more venting wight he mesh pockets and pit zips which does give it a wider range. I wish someone carried OR around here, but they don't, because I would like to see one in person.

I am already using a trash bag rain skirt so I figure I don't really need a long poncho/tarp because most of the are not long enough to cover my 6'5" frame. I ended up picking a Coleman poncho/tarp made out of vinyl at Wal-Mart last night for next to nothing to try some stuff out with. That paired with the rain skirt and the small trash bag I use inside my pack should give me adequate rain protection for cowboy camping under a tree. It weighs 6.2oz, cost $3 because someone had destroyed the packaging and lost the stud sack. It is not as large as the Golite being only 6'6" long and 4'1" wide but I think it will work for me pretty good for a try out piece. Gatewood is just too small for me. Still trying to figure out the bug protection but a 9' piece of noseeum might do it for me. and keep thing seas, simple and cheap.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools