Topic

Henley pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Henley pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    mark henley

@flash582

Hello,

I've been involved with some long term health issues and been away from backpacking for several years. I'm just getting back on the trail this summer!

I was curious if anyone had constructed and might be using one of the packs I had designed years ago. I would love feedback on the design.

Mark

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Welcome back Mark!

I am sorry to learn of your difficulties and glad you're BaaaAAAAAck!

george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Locale: Loco Libre Gear

+1 Welcome back Mark! Hope all is well.

Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

Locale: California

Glad to hear you are getting back on the trail. I haven't been frequenting the forums, so sorry this is a bit late.

Your pack was the first piece of gear that I ever made, and really was a fantastic pattern to have available to me. With that in mind though, it was pretty poorly constructed because I didn't know much of what I was doing. I did get to use it on a couple of trips before the fabric was too stressed, but my lack of skill could play a part in any issues I faced during use.

One issue I remember was the torso length being a bit too short for my pad. Just barely, but it was still a bit troublesome.

Also, the attachment point of the straps being directly beneath the opening of the pack caused issues if using shockcord for the closure and no lid. I'm not a huge fan of lids, so didn't add one, and the straps would slowly pull the pack open. So it would be nice to note that if you skip the lid, it would be good to make a collar.

As a SUL piece of gear, most of the design thoughts are still great. For my current SUL packs, I have gone with shoulder straps with a small curve and built in foam. For attaching the straps, I have started using webbing in more of a Zpacks style, partly because of how easy this can be.

mark henley

@flash582

Thanks!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools